A-K Valley high school look-ahead: Week of Dec. 10, 2018
Sunday, December 9, 2018 | 6:21 PM
• Burrell and Deer Lakes shared a section in most seasons, but they split up after the PIAA went through realignment in the offseason. Still, they will meet for a nonsection game at Burrell. Senior Kaylen Sharrow leads the way for Burrell (1-1) after scoring in double figures in each of the Bucs’ first two games. Deer Lakes (2-0), which is coming off a championship at its host tournament, swept Burrell last season.
• Kiski Area will host Knoch in a nonsection game. The Cavaliers (1-1), under new coach Nick Dizon, began the season with a 40-point win over Imani Christian. Knoch (1-1) is breaking in five new starters after making the playoffs last season.
• It will be a WPIAL playoff rematch for Deer Lakes, which travels to Ambridge for a nonsection game. The Lancers (1-1) came up on the short end of a 62-56 decision in a WPIAL Class 4A first-round game against Ambridge last season.
• A pair of Alle-Kiski Valley teams under new coaches meet for a nonsection game as Freeport hosts Apollo-Ridge. The Yellowjackets, under new coach Wayne Greiser, split their games at the Freeport tournament last weekend. Apollo-Ridge and coach Greg Fox lost a pair of games at the Leechburg tournament.
• Burrell will travel to Kiski Area for a nonsection game. The Cavaliers (0-2) are playing under a new coach, Will Saunders, and seeking their first win.
• After snapping a four-game losing streak with a win Thursday over Bishop Canevin, Knoch (4-6) will welcome second-place Ringgold (8-2) for a PIHL Division II game.
• Coming off an upset of Class 6A No. 1 Pine-Richlands, Fox Chapel (2-0) hits the road for a nonsection game at Woodland Hills (1-1). The Wolverines and Foxes played in the same section the past two seasons before Woodland Hills dropped to Class 5A under new realignment.
• Knoch (1-1) travels to face a former section rival of its own, Hampton (1-1), for a nonsection game. Hampton claimed a pair of narrow victories in this matchup last season.
• Burrell can make it 11 victories in a row to start the season as the Bucs visit McDowell (1-6-0-2) for a PIHL Division II game.
• Hoping to stay in the PIHL Class A North playoff chase, Fox Chapel (3-6) hosts first-place Montour. The Spartans (9-0) have outscored their opponents 83-25.
• Section competition begins, and the Section 3-AA schedule features a key matchup between Highlands and Valley. The Golden Rams dropped to Class AA before the season. Valley is aiming for a fourth straight WPIAL playoff appearance.
• Deer Lakes visits Apollo-Ridge for a nonsection game. The Lancers split a pair of games at the season-opening St. Joseph tournament.
• Springdale hosts Jefferson-Morgan in nonsection play. The Dynamos, under new coach Aaron Epps, went 1-1 at their host tipoff tournament.
• Section play begins. Apollo-Ridge, which elected to play up in Class 4A this season, hosts Burrell in its Section 1 opener. The Vikings won the Springdale tournament to begin the season, with guard Maddy Moore earning MVP honors.
• Highlands hosts Knoch in the teams’ Section 1-4A opener. The Golden Rams, under new coach Courtney Udanis, split their pair of games at the St. Joseph tournament. Knoch did likewise at the Armstrong tournament.
• Kiski Area hosts defending PIAA champion Mars and Bucknell recruit Tai Johnson in a Section 2-5A opener.
• Burrell and Shady Side Academy made up two-thirds of a three-way tie atop of Section 3-3A last season, and they will meet up in their section opener.
• Valley dropped a pair of games at the season-opening Indiana tournament, but the Vikings will look for a better result in their Section 3-3A opener against Steel Valley.
• Armstrong visits Plum in a Section 3-5A opener. The host Mustangs lost both their games at their tipoff tournament.
• Leechburg and Vincentian no longer share the same section, but the Blue Devils and Royals will meet in a nonsection game at Leechburg. Under new coach Andre Carter, Leechburg split its two games at its tournament.
• Three local teams will travel to Hempfield to compete in the Westmoreland County Coaches Association Shootout. Kiski Area will face Norwin at noon, followed by Burrell against Monessen at 1:45 and Valley against Latrobe at 3:30.
• Freeport faced the top-ranked team in Class 5A — Mars — in its tipoff tournament, and the Yellowjackets will take on another highly ranked team, Class 4A No. 2 New Castle, in The Clash Invitational.
• A trio of teams will compete in the new-look Armstrong Duals. Kiski Area, the two-time defending WPIAL Class AAA champion, highlights the field. Knoch and Plum also are in the field.
• Burrell will complete the two-day King of the Mountain tournament at Central Mountain High School.
More High School Other• High school scores, summaries and schedules for Oct. 22, 2020
• High school scores, summaries and schedules for Oct. 21, 2020
• High school scores, summaries and schedules for Oct. 20, 2020
• High school scores, summaries and schedules for Oct. 19, 2020
• First year on job brings growth, surprises to Chartiers Valley athletic director