Peters Township doubles tandem claims PIAA championship
Saturday, November 2, 2019 | 7:30 PM
Peters Township’s Kat Wang and Marra Bruce claimed the PIAA Class AAA doubles tennis title Saturday afternoon after defeating Radnor’s Kanon Ciarrocchi and Lucy Hederick, 6-3, 3-6, 6-2, at Hershey Racquet Club.
Wang and Bruce advanced to the finals by beating Avery Palandjian and Scotty Reynolds of Manheim Township, 6-3, 6-4. Wang, a sophomore, and Bruce, a freshman, also captured the WPIAL championship last month.
• After leading Fox Chapel to the PIAA Class AAA girls tennis team championship, WPIAL singles champion Charlotte James came up just short of winning the individual state title, falling 6-1, 6-2 to Amelia Honer of Council Rock North in the PIAA final Saturday afternoon at Hershey Racquet Club. James won earlier in the day by defeating Catherine Rabatin of Penn Manor in the semifinals, 6-4, 6-1, after winning both of her matches on Friday by scores of 6-2, 6-0. Honer beat Baldwin’s Bethany Yauch, 6-3, 6-3, in her semifinal match. Yauch claimed third place with the consolation win against Rabatin.
More High School Sports• Derry’s Bushey, Norwin’s Federovich overcame personal challenges to excel
• Coronavirus pandemic could worsen WPIAL shortage of football officials
• Athletes not required to wear face masks during workouts, state says
• Return-to-football workouts expose those ‘slacking’ when schools closed
• 2019-20 Trib Cup: Basketball success lifts OLSH to repeat in Class 2A