The Birdie delivers Week 4 A-K Valley football picks with a hard candy shell
Wednesday, September 21, 2022 | 7:58 PM
As The Birdie was waddling through his local supermarket one day this week, he noticed the giant Halloween displays at the end of each aisle.
This makes some people angry because they haven’t even put their pool noodles away for the year yet, and here is pumpkin-spiced this and pumpkin-spiced that.
Not Birdie, though. He loves fall, for two reasons.
First, there’s nothing that makes him happier than guzzling down bags of M&Ms.
“Whoever called this ‘sharing size’ never met me,” he crowed.
Second, it means football season is really heating up.
“And this is turning into one heck of a season in the A-K Valley,” Birdie said, picking through the bags spread out on his desk with a gleam in his eye.
He decided to combine his two passions.
“You know Burrell? They’re like these plain M&Ms. Nothing fancy but gets the job done,” he chomped.
“And Plum, they’re like these Pretzel M&Ms. Just when you’re caught expecting the ground game, bam, they hit you with the surprise pretzel core of the passing game.
“Leechburg, they remind me of Peanut M&Ms. Sure, Braylan Lovelace is the center of it all, but the combination of everything is what makes it a classic.
“And Highlands, they’re like Fudge Brownie M&Ms. They’ve got a relentless barrage of flavor that leaves opponents with their mouths hanging open.”
Somehow, the Birdie pulled himself away from his chocolate buffet long enough to make his Week 4 picks.
• Leechburg (3-1) at Clairton (1-3): The Blue Devils have turned the program around the past couple years, but there’s one thing missing: A win over perennial power Clairton. Time to change that. Leechburg, 28-27
• Mt. Pleasant (3-1) at Freeport (3-1): There’s no shame in the nonconference loss to Armstrong the Yellowjackets suffered last week, but the section schedule starts. Now’s the time to bounce back. Freeport, 35-34
• Plum (3-1) at Gateway (3-1): Was Gateway’s loss to Franklin Regional last week a blip or a sign the Gators are vulnerable. No doubt the Mustangs would love to kick their neighbors while they’re down. Gateway, 20-14
Tags: Apollo-Ridge, Burrell, Clairton, Deer Lakes, Derry Area, Elizabeth Forward, Fox Chapel, Frazier, Freeport, Gateway, Greensburg C.C., Highlands, Indiana, Kiski Area, Knoch, Leechburg, Mt. Pleasant, North Catholic, Pine-Richland, Plum, Riverview, Southmoreland, Springdale, Uniontown, Valley, Yough
More High School Football• Trib HSSN football team of the week for 2023 Week 14
• 5 WPIAL teams, Westinghouse make March to Mechanicsburg for PIAA championships
• Trib HSSN football player of the week for Week 14
• This week on Trib HSSN for week of Dec. 4, 2023
• North Allegheny ends 11-year wait, moves on to state finals vs. powerhouse St. Joseph’s Prep