Through the Years: In 1962, Verona made last-minute grab at Gardner points
Thursday, November 10, 2022 | 11:01 AM
Each week throughout the high school football season, the Valley News Dispatch will take a look at the players, coaches and events that shaped our scholastic legacy.
Verona defeated East Huntingdon, 14-7, in a hastily arranged game to get the Panthers enough Gardner Points for a berth in the WPIAL title game. Garry Lyle and Wayne Gent scored the Verona touchdowns, and Harold Mauro set a school record with 25 tackles Nov. 10, 1962.
75 years ago
• Defending WPIAL champion Ken High finished its third consecutive undefeated Class 2A season with a 38-6 pounding of Sharon. Harold Vestrand scored four touchdowns for the Red Raiders.
• Freeport school officials declared a day off for students after the Yellowjackets finished their Class B season undefeated by virtue of a 19-0 win over East Deer. Ultimately, Freeport didn’t have enough Gardner Points and Masontown beat Chartiers Township for the WPIAL title.
60 years ago
• Franklin Regional ended its first season with a 56-13 rout of Elders Ridge. Future Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Bob Moose scored a touchdown for the Panthers.
50 years ago
• Leechburg and Deer Lakes battled to a 22-22 tie in the AIC Bowl at Kittanning. Dave Csonka passed to Blue Devils teammate Randy Tira with no time left on the clock, then passed to Mike Phillips for the 2-point conversion to earn the stalemate.
• Kiski Area earned the right to play Gateway in the WPIAL semifinals, thanks to Hopewell’s 35-0 win over previously undefeated Beaver Falls. Tony Dorsett scored three Hopewell touchdowns in his final high school appearance.
40 years ago
25 years ago
10 years ago
Five years ago
• Lionel “Train” Deanes ran for five touchdowns as Seton La Salle took the measure of Freeport, 35-18, in a Class 3A playoff game at Dormont Stadium. Luke Kennedy had two Yellowjackets TDs.
Tags: Burrell, California, Chartiers Valley, Deer Lakes, Fox Chapel, Franklin Regional, Freeport, Greensburg C.C., Kiski Area, Leechburg, Mt. Pleasant, North Allegheny, Plum, Riverview, Seton La Salle
More High School Football• Kent State is right fit for Franklin Regional lineman Andrew Nesler
• High school sports notebook: Ex-Hempfield, Jeannette football assistant heads to Central Catholic
• City League QB among 5 finalists for Willie Thrower Award for 1st time
• Central Catholic hires former Seneca Valley, Pine-Richland assistant Ryan Lehmeier as football coach
• Bethel Park hires offensive coordinator Phil Peckich as football coach