Westmoreland high school lookahead: Week of Dec. 18, 2017
Sunday, December 17, 2017 | 5:45 PM
Highlights of the week ahead in Westmoreland high school sports:
Franklin Regional (4-1, 1-0) and Armstrong (4-0, 0-0) have proven to be two of the top defensive teams in Section 4-5A so far, and they will meet at Armstrong.
• Belle Vernon (3-1, 1-0) at Southmoreland (3-1, 0-1) features Section 2-4A contenders, and Mt. Pleasant (2-2, 1-0) looks to upset Keystone Oaks (3-1, 1-0) on the road.
• Greensburg Central Catholic (1-2, 1-0) at Serra (2-2, 1-0) and California (2-2, 0-1) at Jeannette (1-2, 1-0) are notable Section 3-2A games.
Latrobe (7-3) heads north to take on Pine-Richland (4-3) with a 9 p.m. faceoff at the Baierl Complex.
It might be a nonsection game, but Laurel Highlands (2-2) at Greensburg Salem (4-0) has the potential for fireworks. Both teams are averaging more than 74 points.
• Hempfield (1-3, 0-1) hosts Plum (3-2, 0-1), and Norwin (4-1, 0-0) travels to Penn Hills (5-0, 1-0) in Section 3-6A action.
• In Section 1-4A, Derry (2-1, 1-0) travels to Mt. Pleasant (0-4, 0-0).
Norwin (0-3) and Penn Hills (1-2) are off to slow starts, but they always are among the favorites in Section 2-6A. They will meet at Penn Hills in an early-season showdown.
• Hempfield at Gateway is a nonsection game to watch.
The match to watch in Section 1-AAA has Greensburg Salem at Penn-Trafford, and Burrell takes on Hempfield at Jeannette.
NCAA Division I football recruits can sign letters of intent as the new early signing period begins. The regular period starts Feb. 7. Belle Vernon's Blake Zubovic (Pitt) and Penn-Trafford's Logan Hawkins (Akron) are scheduled to sign early.
High-scoring Latrobe heads to Harrison City to take on Penn-Trafford in Section 3-6A.
• Nonsection games of interest have Mt. Pleasant at Jeannette and Burrell at Derry. Standout Anthony Johnson is expected to make his season debut for Jeannette.
Section dual matches continue with Franklin Regional visiting Hempfield and Latrobe at Norwin in Section 1-AAA. Belle Vernon travels to Thomas Jefferson in Section 2-AAA, and Derry goes to Southmoreland in Section 2-AA.
Section 2-6A playoff contenders Latrobe and Penn-Trafford clash in Harrison City.
Host Greensburg Salem will try to take down visiting Trinity, the reigning Section 3-5A champion.
• Hempfield visits Franklin Regional in nonsection play.
A trio of intriguing games in Secrion 3-6A features Latrobe at Norwin, Penn-Trafford at Plum and Woodland Hills at Hempfield.
• Highlands at Franklin Regional is the game of the night in Section 3-5A, and Serra at GCC and Springdale at Jeannette are Section 1-2A matchups.
Latrobe at Norwin could be the night's top game in Section 2-6A.
In a local rivalry match, Latrobe visits Derry.
Four games will be played at the Jamfest at Penn Hills, including GCC vs. Highlands at 3 p.m. and Jeannette vs. East Allegheny at 8.
One of two girls games at the Jamfest at Penn Hills features GCC against East Allegheny at 1:30 p.m.
Bill Beckner Jr. is a Tribune-Review Staff Writer. You can contact Bill by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter .
More High School Basketball• Gateway’s Lexi Jackson looks forward to career at Kent State
• Westmoreland notebook: Belle Vernon freshman’s research project catches eye of WNBA
• PIAA tightens competitive balance formula for football, basketball transfers
• Belle Vernon freshman Viva Kreis gets behind-the-scenes look at WNBA
• Burrell grad Fantuzzo returns to coach basketball at alma mater