Westmoreland high school lookahead: Week of Sept. 3, 2018
Sunday, September 2, 2018 | 5:39 PM
Section play gets going for a number of county teams after the opening weekend of the season. Serra Catholic visits No. 3 Greensburg Central Catholic in a Section 1-A matchup of returning playoff teams.
• Other top matchups include Connellsville at Hempfield (Section 3-AAAA), Belle Vernon at Ringgold (3-AAA) and No. 3 Franklin Regional at Gateway (4-AAA).
Two Section 3-AAAA matches highlight the schedule with Hempfield visiting Penn-Trafford and Norwin heading to Plum.
Third-ranked Yough has high expectations after reaching the WPIAL semifinals last season, and the Cougars open Section 3-AA play at Waynesburg, which won the section last year by two games over Yough.
• No. 5 Springdale at No. 2 Greensburg Central Catholic (1-A), Indiana at Franklin Regional (1-AAA) and Southmoreland at Mt. Pleasant (3-AA) are other games to watch.
The third annual Westmoreland County Coaches Association tournament begins at 9:30 a.m. at Champion Lakes Golf Course. The nine-hole event will crown individual and team champions.
Section 3-AAAA has a pair of strong matchups with Penn-Trafford visiting Latrobe and Norwin hosting Plum.
Mt. Pleasant at Freeport (2-AA) is another top game.
Defending PIAA Class AAAA champion Norwin finally opens Section 3-AAAA play at home against Hempfield.
• Derry hosts Ligonier Valley in a nonsection match.
Derry will look to take down defending PIAA champion Freeport in a Section 5-AA match.
Week 2 has plenty to offer in the way of quality matchups, not the least of which is Imani Christian at Jeannette in a rematch of last year’s WPIAL Class A title game.
• Rivals Thomas Jefferson and Belle Vernon square off in Rostraver in a Class 4A Big East game. Norwin visits Hempfield in 6A, Franklin Regional at Latrobe in the 5A Big East, Mt. Pleasant at Yough in the 3A Big East, Mars at Greensburg Salem (4A Big East) and South Park at Derry (3A).
Top games include: Norwin at Connellsville (3-AAAA), Franklin Regional at Armstrong (1-AAA), Belle Vernon at Ringgold (2-AAA), Mt. Pleasant at Yough (3-AA) and Burrell at Greensburg Central Catholic (nonsection).
Latrobe visits Mt. Pleasant, and Ringgold visits Norwin in nonsection action.
Some of the top runners in the WPIAL willl gather for an early-season competition at the Red, White and Blue Invitational. Races begin at 9 a.m. at Schenley Park.
Bill Beckner is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Bill at email@example.com or via Twitter @BillBeckner.
Bill Beckner Jr. is a Tribune-Review Staff Writer. You can contact Bill by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter .
More High School Soccer Boys• Connellsville’s Luke Peperak headed to Pitt
• Veshio tabbed to lead perennially powerful Quaker Valley boys soccer program
• Century Soccer nears program record for college recruits
• H.S. notebook: New Penn-Trafford soccer coach hopes to ‘take it to the next level’
• Trib HSSN May Madness: Aaron Donald, Penn Hills vs. Pat McAfee, Plum