Westmoreland high school notebook: Penn-Trafford’s Schall, Latrobe’s Fenton honored
Sunday, December 11, 2022 | 5:43 PM
A pair of local players made the Pennsylvania Volleyball Coaches Association All-State teams in the two largest classifications.
Schall helped guide the Warriors to the WPIAL semifinals. She finished the season with 98 kills, 181 digs and 16 aces.
A four-year starter, Fenton had 61 aces and a 78.5 serve percentage to go with 139 kills, 136 digs and 624 assists this season as Latrobe also reached the semifinals after an undefeated regular season.
She holds the Latrobe record for career assists with 1,534.
Fenton will continue her playing career at Notre Dame.
Ryan Kimmel, a senior two-way starter at Greensburg Central Catholic, was named the WPIAL Class A Eastern Conference football lineman of the year.
A Bates College (Mass.) commit, Kimmel played offensive guard and defensive end for the Centurions. He finished the season with a team-high 53 tackles, 14 for loss, a sack and a blocked field goal.
Jeannette job open
Jeannette is looking for a boys soccer coach after the district opened the position.
Art Cicero was the team’s coach since 2018. He finished 23-43-1 and led the Jayhawks to the first WPIAL playoff appearance in program history.
Belle Vernon honored a late coach from another local football program during its PIAA championship win Saturday in Mechanicsburg.
The Leopards, who edged Neumann-Goretti, 9-8, to claim their first state football title, wore helmet stickers with the initials “RF” to remember Ron Frederick, the former Southmoreland coach who died in February of a heart-related issue.
Frederick, who was in line to be the Scotties’ coach, was 40.
Belle Vernon moved to Class 3A this season and played against the Scotties in the Interstate Conference.
Senior Aaron Tressler of Greensburg Salem signed a letter of intent to run track and cross country at St. Francis (Pa.) of the Northeast Conference.
• Senior softball player Brynna King of Latrobe announced her commitment to Division II Mercyhurst of the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference. King is a middle infielder and outfielder.
• Mt. Pleasant swimmer McKenna Mizikar signed to continue her career at Bloomsburg.
• Noah Vogel, a senior football player at Norwin, picked up D-II offers from Wheeling and Frostburg State. Vogel is a 6-foot-3, 230-pound tight end and defensive end.
• Norwin senior fullback/linebacker Kai Weems was offered a spot to play at Geneva.
• Hempfield senior two-way football lineman Jackson Barton, and Greensburg Central Catholic senior Dom Vitula (WR/DB/LB) have an opportunity to play at Westminster.
Bill Beckner Jr. is a Tribune-Review Staff Writer. You can contact Bill by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter .
More High School Sports• Wildcat attack sparks dominant 3rd quarter as Avonworth runs away from West Mifflin
• WPIAL Class A football roundup: Colin Brady runs for 301 yards, 4 TDs as West Greene outlasts Monessen
• WPIAL Class 2A football roundup: Jay Wrona throws for 289 yards, 4 TDs in Mohawk victory
• WPIAL Class 3A football roundup: Eric Doerue, South Park take down No. 5 Seton LaSalle
• High school scores, summaries and schedules for Sept. 30, 2023