Westmoreland high school sports look-ahead: Week of May 21, 2018
Sunday, May 20, 2018 | 4:48 PM
The WPIAL playoffs resume with quarterfinal games around the district.
There will be a local Class A doubleheader at Fox Chapel with No. 3 seed Greensburg Central Catholic (12-5) facing No. 6 Eden Christian (8-7) at 2 p.m., followed by No. 5 Jeannette (12-3) vs. No. 4 Quigley Catholic (13-1) at 4:30.
• Greensburg Salem (12-5), fresh off its first playoff win since 2012, will play Class 4A top seed Blackhawk (16-1) at 4:30 p.m. at Seneca Valley.
• Another Class A second-game features No. 7 Monessen (11-6) vs. No. 2 Union (12-3) at 2 at the Burkett Complex in Robinson.
A trio of doubleheaders will greet area teams in the quarterfinals of the WPIAL playoffs. Two games at Latrobe feature Class 5A No. 3 seed Penn-Trafford (16-3) facing No. 11 Thomas Jefferson (11-5) at 5 p.m. and Class 6A No. 1 Hempfield (17-3) taking on No. 8 Canon-McMillan (10-6) at 7.
• At Seton Hill, site of the WPIAL finals May 30-31, Class 4A No. 2 Yough (15-3) plays No. 7 Indiana (13-5) at 2 p.m., followed by No. 3 Latrobe (10-3) vs. No. 11 No. Peters Township (10-8) in 6A at 4.
• And at Fox Chapel, Class 4A No. 1 Mt. Pleasant (15-0) plays No. 9 Knoch (13-5) at 3 p.m., followed by Class 6A No. 5 Norwin (11-6) vs. No. 4 North Allegheny (14-7) in 6A at 5.
• Other local second-round matchups include: No. 4 Franklin Regional (14-6) vs. No. 5 Connellsville (12-6) in 5A (5 p.m. at Plum); No. 4 Belle Vernon (18-3) vs. No. 5 Ambridge (9-5) in 4A (4 at Baldwin); No. 3 Southmoreland (7-7) vs. No. 6 Steel Valley (12-6) in 3A (6 at Trinity Middle School); and No. 2 Monessen (13-3) vs. No. 7 Riverview (12-4) in Class A (4 at Canon-McMillan).
Franklin Regional is on a roll after a pair of postseason wins, and the sixth-seeded Panthers will look to take down No. 7 Quaker Valley in the WPIAL Class AA semifinals. The match begins at 6 p.m. at Seneca Valley.
Quaker Valley upset No. 2 Oakland Catholic.
Class 6A No. 3 seed Hempfield (15-5) returns after a bye to take on No. 6 Pine-Richland (14-6) in a quarterfinal game at 4:30 p.m. at West Mifflin.
• In a Class 5A quarterfinal, No. 6 Franklin Regional (15-4) faces No. 3 North Hills (17-3) at 4 p.m. at Shaler.
Class AA top seed Derry will take on No. 4 Montour in the WPIAL semifinals. After a first-round bye, Derry blanked Bishop Canevin, 3-0, in the quarterfinals.
Track & field
The top athletes from around the state will converge on Shippensburg's Seth Grove Stadium for the PIAA championships. Action begins at 9 a.m. with a number of field events and the 3,200-meter relays.
The PIAA individual championships get underway in Hershey.
Track & field
The PIAA championships conclude at Shippensburg.
Bill Beckner Jr. is a Tribune-Review Staff Writer. You can contact Bill by email at email@example.com or via Twitter .
More High School Baseball• Hampton trio to play Division I baseball next season
• GCC baseball coach Reist organizes fundraiser for team, less-privileged children
• Rivals from North Allegheny, Pine-Richland to join forces at Penn State
• Shaler Area’s Rispoli commits to play baseball at Dayton
• Hampton selects Long as new baseball coach