WPIAL clinched: Boys basketball clinchings through Feb. 4, 2020
Tuesday, February 4, 2020 | 11:48 PM
The WPIAL boys basketball regular season has less than a week left.
The playoff field is starting to take shape. When the regular season ends, at least 76 boys basketball teams will earn a spot in the WPIAL postseason.
Trib HSSN will once again have exclusive coverage of the Path to the Pete starting on Tuesday, Feb. 11 with the Playoff Pairings Show as we unveil the brackets to the masses.
Until then, we will update the list of teams that have qualified after each night of section play.
Here are the teams that have clinched a district playoff berth through Tuesday, Feb. 4 and the playoff scenarios for the bubble teams heading into Friday.
Class 6A: (10 of 12 playoff teams have clinched)
Butler Golden Tornado
Central Catholic Vikings
Mt. Lebanon Blue Devils
Upper St. Clair Panthers
Bethel Park Black Hawks
Peters Township Indians
Fox Chapel Foxes
• Still alive: The winner of North Allegheny at North Hills on Friday is in.
• Still alive: If Latrobe beats Hempfield on Friday, it is in. If Hempfield wins, Connellsville is in based on winning three-way tiebreaker against Latrobe and Norwin.
Class 5A: (9 of at least 12 playoff teams have clinched)
Penn Hills Indians
Laurel Highlands Mustangs
Chartiers Valley Colts
Thomas Jefferson Jaguars
South Fayette Lions
Mars Fightin’ Planets
• Still alive: Gateway is in with a win over McKeesport on Friday. Woodland Hills is in with a win over Penn Hills on Friday. Albert Gallatin is in with a win over Laurel Highlands on Friday AND losses by Gateway and Woodland Hills.
• Still alive: West Allegheny is in with a win over Chartiers Valley on Friday OR a Trinity loss to South Fayette. Trinity is in with a win at South Fayette.
• Still alive: Winner of Kiski Area at Franklin Regional on Friday is in. Franklin Regional can clinch with a loss AND a Plum loss to Shaler. If Kiski and Plum win, Kiski Area wins three-way tie against Franklin Regional and Plum.
Class 4A: (12 of a possible 13 playoff teams have clinched)
Highlands Golden Rams
Mt. Pleasant Vikings
Quaker Valley Quakers
New Castle Red Hurricane
Uniontown Red Raiders
Belle Vernon Leopards
Elizabeth Forward Warriors
• Still alive: Central Valley is in with a win over Hopewell on Friday AND a New Castle loss to Ambridge on Saturday.
Class 3A: (15 of 16 playoff teams have clinched)
Lincoln Park Leopards
Beaver Falls Tigers
North Catholic Trojans
Seton LaSalle Rebels
South Allegheny Gladiators
Steel Valley Ironmen
Deer Lakes Lancers
Washington Little Prexies
• Still alive: Shady Side Academy is in with a win at Deer Lakes on Friday OR an East Allegheny loss to South Allegheny. East Allegheny is in with a win over South Allegheny AND a Shady Side Academy loss to Deer Lakes.
Class 2A: (12 of a possible 14 playoff teams have clinched)
Winchester Thurston Bears
Serra Catholic Eagles
Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Chargers
Sewickley Academy Panthers
• Still alive: Chartiers-Houston is in with a win over Carmichaels on Friday AND a California loss to Bentworth.
• Still alive: South Side is in with a win over Burgettstown on Friday AND a Sewickley Academy loss to OLSH.
Class A: (12 of a possible 13 playoff teams have clinched)
Vincentian Academy Royals
Nazareth Prep Saints
Eden Christian Academy Warriors
Bishop Canevin Crusaders
Geibel Catholic Gators
West Greene Pioneers
Greensburg Central Catholic Centurions
Imani Christian Saints
Leechburg Blue Devils
• Still alive: Union is in with a win over Western Beaver on Friday AND an Eden Christian loss to Nazareth Prep.
More Basketball• Cheswick Christian Academy pastor and ex-basketball coach ‘doing well’ after heart transplant
• Quaker Valley’s Bailey Garbee commits to American, turns teammates into rivals
• Trib HSSN June Madness quarterfinals: Lauryn Williams, Rochester vs. Christa Harmotto, Hopewell
• Trib HSSN June Madness quarterfinals: Terrelle Pryor, Jeannette vs. A.Q. Shipley, Moon
• Trib HSSN May Madness: Hunter Robinson, Avonworth vs. Rachel Martindale, North Allegheny