A-K Valley teams adjust to changes in basketball alignment
Tuesday, June 28, 2022 | 10:20 AM
Basketball in the A-K Valley will have a bit of a different look next winter.
The WPIAL board of directors approved section alignments for the next two-year cycle in boys and girls basketball on June 13.
Several A-K Valley teams were impacted. Here’s a look at some of the changes:
“I was saying to someone to have the 6A defending champion and or the runner-up both gone is kind of interesting,” Fox Chapel boys coach Zach Skrinjar said. “I think the WPIAL did a good job in going with competitive balance, separating teams from different areas. The quality of play of the 24 teams in Class 5A should provide for some great playoff games.”
• St. Joseph remains in Section 3-A and will welcome Hillel Academy to the WPIAL as a section opponent.
• The WPIAL placed the Penn Hills and Kiski Area girls in the same Class 5A section despite lingering issues between the schools from last winter. Penn Hills accused Kiski Area fans of making racist taunts at a middle school volleyball game in March, allegations that led Penn Hills to refuse to play Kiski Area teams during spring seasons.
Kiski Area later asked the WPIAL to keep the schools separate next school year, but the WPIAL didn’t grant that wish. The two schools join Franklin Regional, Gateway, Indiana, Plum and Woodland Hills in Section 1-5A.
“It was discussed,” WPIAL administrator Vince Sortino said. “We looked at it, and that’s the sections we came up with. We told them that we would take a look at it. That’s what we came back with. We’re going to expect that all of the teams in that section play each other.”
• Burrell and Deer Lakes dropped out of Section 1-4A and will join Section 3 in Class 3A with Ligonier Valley, Mt. Pleasant and Shady Side Academy. Apollo-Ridge also will join that section after bumping up from Class 2A.
Bill Hartlep is the sports editor of the Tribune-Review. You can contact Bill at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @BHartlep_Trib.
More High School Basketball• Trib HSSN 2022-23 WPIAL Class A girls basketball preseason breakdown
• Trib HSSN 2022-23 WPIAL Class A boys basketball preseason breakdown
• Starting 5: A primer for high school hoops season in the A-K Valley
• Starting 5: A primer for high school hoops season in Westmoreland County
• Westmoreland County basketball notes: Coaching reunion at Norwin tournament