Alle-Kiski Valley Through the Years: ‘Seinfeld’ producer leads Riverview to win
Thursday, October 10, 2019 | 6:06 PM
Each Friday throughout the high school football season, the Valley News Dispatch will take a look back at the games, players and events that are part of local scholastic history.
100 years ago
• Despite 2 inches of water on the field at Petersen Park, Tarentum upset Vandergrift, 19-0. Slaughter, Geisler and Rometo scored the Tarentum touchdowns.
75 years ago
• A 17-yard touchdown pass from right halfback John Koziura to left halfback George Greco resulted in the game’s only score as Arnold defeated Springdale, 6-0, before a huge crowd at Veterans Memorial Field.
60 years ago
• Kittanning shocked Freeport with two touchdowns in the final four minutes for a 13-12 victory. Jim Milliron scored both Wildcats touchdowns, including the winner with 45 seconds left.
• East Deer remained undefeated in league play with a 34-13 victory over Verona. Jim Marelli ran for two scores and Al ‘Abby’ Mauro threw two TD passes on end options.
50 years ago
• Verona surprised Oakmont, 6-0, in the annual battle of the Twin Boros at Cribbs Field. Randy Shook scored the only touchdown in the third quarter. Bill Bonner intercepted two Oaks passes.
• Bill Wichrowski’s 19-yard field goal with 2 seconds left helped Kiski Area improve to 5-1 with a 25-22 victory over Connellsville.
40 years ago
• Leechburg held onto its share of first place in the AIC East with a 17-0 victory over Burrell. A blocked punt by Mark George set up a 27-yard field goal by Curt Lasslo.
• Tim Kaiser’s two touchdowns led Riverview to a 21-0 victory over Ford City. Kaiser later produced the NBC series “Seinfeld” and “Will & Grace.”
25 years ago
• Kittanning accumulated 336 rushing yards — 150 by sophomore Jason Linkes — as the Wildcats blasted Knoch, 43-0. Tim Crytzer returned an interception 83 yards for a score.
• Valley climbed back into the Greater Allegheny Conference race with a 16-14 upset over Hampton. Jason Jackson’s 40-yard field goal provided the winning points.
10 years ago
• Burrell running back Dan Domanski scored three touchdowns to lead the Bucs to a 44-6 victory over Apollo-Ridge. Quarterback Cam Nelson was 7 of 7 in passing for the Bucs.
• Plum’s defense scored a pair of touchdowns as the Mustangs knocked off Fox Chapel, 23-6. Demetrius Wellington returned a fumble and Ryan Garrity a pass interception.
Five years ago
• Elijah Jackson became the first Highlands running back to eclipse the 3,000-yard career rushing mark as the Golden Rams routed Burrell, 55-7. Jackson had 165 yards and two TDs.
• An 18-yard touchdown pass from Anthony Falsetti to Zeke Walker with 7 seconds left gave Ford City a 34-27 victory over Deer Lakes.
More Football• Gov. Wolf: Legislation to allow more sports spectators will be vetoed today
• This week’s Trib HSSN broadcasts
• Penn-Trafford’s Ford on record-breaking run: ‘It’s crazy to think no one can break it’
• High school scores, summaries and schedules for Sept. 19, 2020
• High school football roundup for Sept. 19, 2020: Another big night for Shenango’s Watkins