Breaking down changes to the 2022-23, 2023-24 WPIAL gymnastics alignment
Tuesday, July 12, 2022 | 9:01 AM
The WPIAL released new section alignments for the next two-year cycle in all sports, and changes will be implemented starting this fall.
This summer, the Tribune-Review will break down changes for each of the WPIAL sports.
Here’s a look at the upcoming WPIAL gymnastics season:
2021-22 WPIAL championships
WPIAL team champion: Moon, 143.666
WPIAL floor: Daisy Lewis, Freedom, 9.675 (Advanced); Annabelle Herrle, Baldwin, 9.350 (Intermediate I); Irelynd Anthony, Moon, 8.600 (Intermediate II)
• The WPIAL gymnastics field grew by one for the next two-year cycle when North Hills decided to compete.
• The top three teams in each section as determined by section record qualify for the team championships.
• The individual championship is open to all competitors who have achieved designated qualifying scores.
• Reigning champion Moon captured its sixth team title in the past 12 seasons last winter.
The Tigers have seven titles overall, trailing only North Allegheny’s 18.
Central Valley won the 2021 championship after TJ captured back-to-back titles.
Nov. 18: First practice date
Nov. 25: First scrimmage date
Dec. 2: First play date
Dec. 12: First section date
Feb. 10: WPIAL team championships
Feb. 11: WPIAL individual championships
Feb. 17-18: PA Classic state championships
2022-23, 2023-24 alignment
Bill Hartlep is the sports editor of the Tribune-Review. You can contact Bill at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @BHartlep_Trib.
More Gymnastics• Freshman phenom leads group of versatile athletes on Baldwin gymnastics team
• Former Gateway gymnast Olivia Miller sets high bar athletically, academically at Pitt
• Trio from Ultimate Gymnastics compete in regionals
• Gold medal performance ‘complete surprise’ for Deer Lakes’ Elizabeth Orosz
• Plum’s Kvortek celebrates PA Classic all-around title