Breaking down changes to the 2023-24 WPIAL boys lacrosse alignment
Monday, August 8, 2022 | 12:01 AM
The WPIAL released new section alignments for the next two-year cycle in all sports, and changes will be implemented starting this fall.
This summer, the Tribune-Review will break down changes for each of the WPIAL sports.
Here’s a look at the upcoming WPIAL boys lacrosse season:
2022 WPIAL champions
Class 3A: Shady Side Academy
Class 2A: Mars
• WPIAL boys lacrosse had a few changes for the next two-year alignment cycle.
Class 3A dropped from 18 to 16 teams, which will be divided into two sections of eight.
North Hills, a quarterfinalist last season, moved up from Class 2A and will play in Section 2-3A.
All three teams that dropped down will be part of Section 1, along with Moon, which moved over from Section 2-2A.
• The top six teams in each section will qualify for the WPIAL playoffs. The top two finishers in Class 3A and top three teams from Class 2A will advance to the PIAA tournament.
• Seton LaSalle will field a WPIAL team next spring and will join Section 1-2A with Bethel Park, Chartiers Valley, Franklin Regional, Gateway, Greensburg Central Catholic, Latrobe, Moon, Penn-Trafford, South Fayette and Trinity.
• Mars has won the past six WPIAL Class 2A boys lacrosse titles, which gives the Fightin’ Planets the most championships in the league’s 13-year history.
Mars also went on to become the first WPIAL team to win a PIAA boys lacrosse championship last spring when it defeated District 1’s Marple Newtown, 9-6, in the state championship game.
March 6: First practice date
March 11: First scrimmage date
March 17: First play date
March 20: First section date
May 24-25: WPIAL championships
June 10: PIAA championships
Class 3A (16 teams)
Class 2A (22 teams)
*Voluntary playing up
Bill Hartlep is the TribLive sports editor. A Pittsburgh native and Point Park graduate, he joined the Trib in 2004, covering high school sports. He held various editing roles before assuming his current position in 2019. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More High School Lacrosse• New Western Pa. lacrosse league showcases fast-paced, high-scoring version of sport
• Sewickley Academy lacrosse defender delivers important message about mental health
• Sewickley Academy rising seniors Libby Eannarino, Ashley Close look forward to promising ’24 lacrosse season
• Senior all-section honorees helped lead Quaker Valley to boys lacrosse playoffs
• Quaker Valley, Sewickley Academy girls lacrosse players pick up postseason awards