Breaking down changes to the 2023-24 WPIAL track and field alignment
Monday, August 8, 2022 | 9:28 AM
The WPIAL released new section alignments for the next two-year cycle in all sports, and changes will be implemented starting this fall.
This summer, the Tribune-Review will break down changes for each of the WPIAL sports.
Here’s a look at the upcoming WPIAL track and field season:
2022 WPIAL championships
Class 3A boys: Butler
Class 3A girls: North Allegheny
Class 2A boys: Shenango
Class 2A girls: Quaker Valley
• WPIAL track and field alignment will look quite similar for the next two years, at least in Class 3A. Several Class 2A sections will look quite different.
• North Catholic will move up to Class 3A for the next two years, slotting into Section 4.
• In Class 2A, Section 2 welcomed Section 3 transfers Hopewell, Freedom and New Brighton, as well as OLSH from Section 1. Much of Section 7 — Apollo-Ridge, Burrell, Deer Lakes, Leechburg and Valley — moved to the A-K Valley-heavy Section 4 with Freeport and Knoch, as well as holdover Springdale.
Section 3 will include newcomers Carlynton (from Section 5), Eden Christian and Sewickley Academy (from Section 2) and Shady Side Academy and Riverview (from Section 4), as well as Quaker Valley from Class 2A.
Section 7 will feature Clairton, East Allegheny, Neighborhood Academy/Ellis School, South Allegheny and Trinity Christian (from Section 4), Serra Catholic (From Section 8) and Winchester Thurston (from Section 3), along with West Mifflin from 2A.
Class to class
The Greensburg Salem boys, likewise, will compete in Section 1-3A during the regular season but will be in the WPIAL Class 2A championship meet.
New to the WPIAL
• Aquinas Academy will compete in WPIAL track and field with boys and girls teams for the next two-year cycle.
• Butler leads all WPIAL girls track and field teams with 14 titles in its history. Others with five or more include defending champions North Allegheny (12) and Quaker Valley (8), as well as Hempfield (6).
The Butler girls won four straight titles between 2017-21. There was no 2020 champion after the season was canceled because of the pandemic.
Butler has won the past two WPIAL titles. North Allegheny won four straight from 2013-16 and won again in 2018.
March 6: First practice date
March 11: First scrimmage date
March 17: First play date
March 28: First section dates
May 2: WPIAL team semifinals
May 10: WPIAL team finals
May 17: WPIAL individual championships
May 26-27: PIAA championships
^Voluntarily playing up
Bill Hartlep is the sports editor of the Tribune-Review. You can contact Bill at email@example.com or via Twitter @BHartlep_Trib.
More High School Sports• High school scores, summaries and schedules for Sept. 27, 2022
• High school roundup for Sept. 27, 2022: Miles Jackson powers Bethel Park to OT win
• Ace for Mars’ Blake Bertolo highlights first round of WPIAL 3A golf championship
• Franklin Regional boys soccer team knocks off top-ranked Plum
• WPIAL rules East Allegheny transfer eligible for regular-season football but not playoffs