Breaking down the 2022-23, 2023-24 WPIAL rifle alignment
Tuesday, July 12, 2022 | 9:01 AM
The WPIAL released new section alignments for the next two-year cycle in all sports, and changes will be implemented starting this fall.
This summer, the Tribune-Review will break down changes for each of the WPIAL sports.
Here’s a look at the upcoming WPIAL rifle season:
2021-22 WPIAL championships
WPIAL team champion: Hempfield, 800-64x
WPIAL individual champion: Riley Dunn, McGuffey, 200-19x
• The WPIAL rifle alignment stayed the same for the league’s four sections, with 16 total teams set to compete again this winter.
Each section has four teams.
• Each team will shoot against section opponents twice and will have at least eight scheduled nonsection matches.
• The top two teams in each section qualify for the WPIAL team championships.
• The top 16 individual shooters at the WPIAL championships will advance to a state championship competition.
• Hempfield has won four of the past five WPIAL team rifle championships.
The Spartans have won six total titles.
Nov. 18: First practice date
Nov. 25: First scrimmage date
Dec. 2: First play date
Feb. 7: WPIAL team championships
Feb. 9: WPIAL individual championships
2022-23, 2023-24 alignment
Bill Hartlep is the sports editor of the Tribune-Review. You can contact Bill at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @BHartlep_Trib.
More High School Rifle• Westmoreland Senior Spotlight: Hempfield’s Lydia Dunn
• Penn-Trafford juniors score top 5 finishes at WPIAL rifle championships
• McGuffey’s Riley Dunn wins WPIAL rifle championship
• Hempfield wins 6th WPIAL rifle championship
• Hempfield rifle team aims to defend WPIAL championship