Chicks Picks – Week 6 – 2010

By:
Thursday, October 7, 2010 | 12:00 AM


Welcome to Week 6 of the high school football season. The sports headlines over the past few days have been all about the Randy Moss trade from the New England Patriots to the Minnesota Vikings. Chick's Picks couldn't help but get a bit nervous just thinking about it.

Looking at the parallels between herself and Moss, Chick's Picks realized they were all too similar. Moss is a hall of fame-bound wide-receiver, Chick's Picks is a hall of fame-bound high school football prognosticator. Moss was in his final year of a contract with the Patriots, Chick's Picks is in her final contract year with The Boss. Moss catches 70% of passes thrown to him, the other 30% he doesn't try to catch. Chick's Picks correctly predicts 70% of games, the other 30% she has no hope of picking right.

The paranoia had set in full force for Chick's Picks, especially when The Boss casually mentioned that The Fumbler would be stopping by MSA Sports World Headquarters Friday night. Hopefully the trade deadline won't be the expiration of the Chick's Picks' legacy at the Network.

Last week, Chick's Picks finished with a 52-11 (84%) record, bringing her season total to 251-89 (74%). Here are this week's big games:

CLASS AAAA
#9 Peters Township (4-1) at #5 Upper St. Clair (4-1)

A highly anticipated Great Sothern Conference showdown will take place at Upper St. Clair Friday night as the Panthers host the Indians for a claim on first place. Peters Township earned it's fourth win of the year last week, holding off Bethel Park, 21-14. Upper St. Clair also moved to (4-1) with a 38-22 win over Baldwin. These two have met only twice, in 2008 and 2009, after Peters Township jumped up to Class AAAA from Class AAA. In those two meetings, the Panthers have gone 2-0 and outscored the Indians 58-17. Chick's Picks knows the Indians have gotten off to a hot start this season, but it won't be enough to stop the perennial power Panthers.
Upper St. Clair over Peters Township.

CLASS AAA
#1 Montour (5-0) at #5 Central Valley (4-1)

The top-ranked Spartans take on the Class AAA newcomer in Monaca Friday night. Montour sits atop the Parkway Conference with a perfect record after knocking off New Castle last week, 24-6. The Warriors are quietly making a name for themselves as a contender in Class AAA, and rolled again last week, 29-20, over Moon. RB Julian Durden has developed into an integral part of the Montour offense, rushing for 245 yards and two touchdowns last week, and nearly 1,000 yards on the year. Opposite Durden on Friday night will be Central Valley's Curtis Lewis, who ran for 186 yards and three touchdowns against Moon. Chicks' Picks has certainly been impressed by the Warriors, but the Spartans are still a bit much for them to handle.
Montour over Central Valley.

CLASS AA
#4 Keystone Oaks (5-0) at #3 South Fayette (5-0)

Keystone Oaks goes on the road to take on South Fayette in this Battle of the Century. The Golden Eagles and the Lions both come into this matchup with perfect records, and tied for first place in the Century Conference. Keystone Oaks has been solid on both sides of the ball all season, outscoring opponents 222-40, and routed Washington last week, 37-0. South Fayette boasts one of the top quarterbacks in the WPIAL in Christian Brumbaugh, who threw for 290 yards last week in a 48-7 win over Burgettstown. These two have split their last two meetings–Keystone Oaks 53-3 in 2008, and South Fayette 28-22 in 2009. Chick's Picks likes the Lions in their second consecutive win this time around.
South Fayette over Keystone Oaks.

CLASS A
#7 Beth-Center (5-0) at #9 Monessen (4-1)

Monessen takes on another Top 10 contender Friday night, as the Greyhounds host the Bulldogs in Tri-County South Conference play. Last week, Beth-Center maintained its perfect record with a 46-32 win over California. Monessen was dealt its first loss of the season in heartbreaking fashion, 24-23, to North Catholic in overtime. The Greyhounds and the Bulldogs both tout tough defenses, holding opponents to less than 12 points per game. Beth-Center's offense has been stellar, posting a WPIAL-leading 244 points on the year. Chick's Picks fears that the heartbreak didn't end last week for the Greyhounds.
Beth-Center over Monessen.

CLASS AAAA

Big East Conference:

Penn Hills over Altoona

Pittsburgh Central Catholic over Plum

Woodland Hills over Fox Chapel

Foothills Conference:

Gateway over Hempfield

Norwin over Connellsville

McKeesport over Penn-Trafford

Great Southern Conference:

Mount Lebanon over Baldwin

Bethel Park over Canon-McMillan

Northern Seven Conference:

North Hills over Butler

Pine-Richland over Seneca Valley

Erie McDowell over Shaler

CLASS AAAA Non-Conference:

North Allegheny over Kiski Area

CLASS AAAA/AAA Non-Conference:

Latrobe over Hampton

CLASS AAA

Big 8 Conference:

Belle Vernon over South Park

Trinity over Elizabeth Forward

West Mifflin over McGuffey

Thomas Jefferson over Chartiers Valley

Greater Allegheny Conference:

Mars over Highlands

Knoch over Indiana

Valley over Kittanning

Keystone Conference:

Greensburg Salem over Derry

Hollidaysburg over Albert Gallatin

Ringgold over Laurel Highlands

Franklin Regional over Uniontown

Parkway Conference:

Blackhawk over Ambridge

New Castle over Hopewell

West Allegheny over Moon

CLASS AA

Allegheny Conference:

Ford City over Summit Academy

Freeport over Apollo-Ridge

Burrell over Shady Side Academy

Deer Lakes over West Shamokin

Century Conference:

Seton-LaSalle over South Allegheny

Burgettstown over Quaker Valley

Steel Valley over Washington

Interstate Conference:

Greensburg Central Catholic over Brownsville

Jeannette over Yough

Mount Pleasant over East Allegheny

Charleroi over Waynesburg

Midwestern Conference:

Beaver Falls over Freedom

Aliquippa over Ellwood City

Laurel over New Brighton

Beaver over Mohawk

CLASS AA Non-Conference:

Riverside over Southmoreland

CLASS A

Big Seven Conference:

Neshannock over Union

Cornell over Shenango

Rochester over Western Beaver

Sto-Rox over South Side

Black Hills Conference:

Clairton over Bentworth

Brentwood over Chartiers-Houston

Carlynton over Avella

Serra Catholic over Fort Cherry

Eastern Conference:

Avonworth over North Catholic

Northgate over Leechburg

Riverview over Our Lady of the Sacred Heart

Bishop Canevin over Wilkinsburg

Tri-County South Conference:

California over West Greene

Frazier over Mapletown

Jefferson-Morgan over Carmichaels

CLASS A Non-Conference:

Springdale over Geibel

PITTSBURGH CITY LEAGUE:

Brashear over Carrick

Perry over Allderdice

Langley over Westinghouse

Schenley over Peabody

Wheeling Central Catholic over Oliver

Tags: , , , , , , ,

More Football

Terrelle Pryor takes a look back at decorated Jeannette career
Monessen hires West Mifflin assistant to lead football program
Penn Hills senior Noel Roach ready to take physical mindset to Akron
A.Q. Shipley discusses a high school career at Moon that led to a decade in the NFL
Franklin Regional football program, WCCA mourn loss of Larry Sellitto

click me