COUNTDOWN TO KICKOFF 2016
Monday, August 1, 2016 | 11:54 AM
The countdown to the start of the 2016 high school football season is underway. We have major changes this year with the expansion from four to six classifications and teams having the option to have a second scrimmage on Friday, August 26th/Saturday, August 27th or playing an actual non-conference game that has been labeled Week Zero. Week One is set for Friday, September 2nd/Saturday, September 3rd. Training camps for the new campaign open up in Western Pennsylvania on Monday, August 15th. As has been the case in the seventeen previous years here at the MSA Sports Network, the ONLY place to turn for original DAILY updates that help prepare fans for all the excitement of the new high school football season in the WPIAL is ‘Countdown to Kickoff 2016’ ONLY here at www.msasports.net
* Football Schedules for Every WPIAL and Pittsburgh City League High School (UPDATED)
MSA Sports ‘Countdown to Kickoff 2016 will begin with the releasing of this seasons football schedules for every team in the WPIAL and the Pittsburgh City League. Just click here and locate your favorite school. Then click on the football link at top of the school page. Every game, whether it be non-conference or conference for all 123 teams in the WPIAL and 6 Pittsburgh City League teams is just a few clicks away.
* WPIAL Football Alignment Changes (UPDATED)
If you love change, then you will love this upcoming high school football season. The PIAA changed the landscape of high school sports when they expanded from four to six classifications in a handful of sports, including football. So here is the new landscape of the WPIAL classifications and conferences for both the 2016 and 2017 seasons.
* This Week in the WPIAL and the Kennywood Preseason All-Star Team Presentation Show LIVE from Kennywood Park (UPDATED)
MSA Sports ‘Countdown to Kickoff 2015 once again kicked off with a special edition of This Week in the WPIAL from Kennywood Park. Don Rebel, Sean Meyers, James Dotson, Kyle Dawson and Mike Azadian took an early look at the upcoming campaign, plus they visited with the players from the 2016 MSA Sports/Kennywood Park Preseason All-Star Team as they were honored during the presentation awards show on MSA Sports. Click below shows to listen and watch to the achived fun.
* A Look Back at the 2015 WPIAL Football Season (UPDATED)
* New Football Rules for 2016 (UPDATED)
Many fans may think they are an expert on the rules of high school football, making sure everybody in their section knows when they have witnessed a ‘bad call’. Well, you can study and truly become the expert in the stands by checking out the new rules for the upcoming 2016 season throughout the WPIAL and PIAA.
* Players to Watch in Each Classification (UPDATED)
* Complete WPIAL/City League SATURDAY High School Football Schedule (UPDATED)
Everybody knows about the passion that is Friday night high school football in Western Pennsylvania. However let’s not forget the local teams that still tee it up “old school” under the sun on Saturday afternoons or under the lights on Saturday night. Check out the complete WPIAL Saturday Schedule.
* 2015 MSA Sports Preseason Elite 11 (UPDATED)
The MSA Sports Elite Eleven are the individuals MSA Sports believes are the best of the best, the top players in the WPIAL coming into the 2016 season. Check out the MSA Sports Preseason Elite Eleven.
* Complete Scrimmage Schedule For Week #1 (UPDATED)
Here is a rundown of all the district first week scrimmages to be played on Saturday, August 20th.
* New Head Football Coaches (UPDATED)
New Faces – New Places – New Hopes – New Dreams. Some are rookie head coaches replacing long-time legendary coaches while other veteran coaches are starting over at new venues. Some schools have a new football coach for the first time in decades while others continue to play roulette with their head coaching position. Here is the rundown of the 17 new WPIAL football coaches.
* Previews of Every Conference in All SIX Classifications (UPDATED)
A look at the strengths and weaknesses of every team, including MSA Sports predictions for each of the 15 conferences and the Pittsburgh City League.
* Complete Scrimmage Schedule – Week #2 (UPDATED)
A second scrimmage is an option starting this year. But while some teams have decided to play a “Week Zero” game, here is a rundown of the Week Two scrimmages to be played on Friday, August 26th.
* MSA Sports Preseason Rankings (UPDATED)
Each and every Monday during the high school football season, MSA Sports will rank the top ten teams in each of the four WPIAL classifications. Here are the initial rankings in each class for 2016.
More Football• Chartiers Valley cornerback Lamont Payne commits to Penn State
• High school roundup for Sept. 18, 2021: LeFebvre leads Western Beaver past Beaver
• 5 things we learned in Week 3 of H.S. football: Bishop Canevin joins Class A conversation
• George Guido: Valley’s ‘Dirty 30’ 1996 football team to be honored
• Latrobe’s Brewer has been a touchdown machine