PIAA Class 2A high school football playoff preview for Nov. 17, 2023
Thursday, November 16, 2023 | 5:01 PM
After winning a subregional game last week, City League champion Westinghouse officially begins PIAA play with a first-round matchup against Central Clarion on Friday night.
Don’t forget after the games on Friday to tune in to the WPIAL football scoreboard show for all the results and plenty of recaps starting at 9:15 p.m.
PIAA Class 2A first round
Westinghouse (10-0) vs. Central Clarion (11-0)
7 p.m. Friday, Memorial Stadium, Penn West-Clarion University
Coaches: Donta Green, Westinghouse; Dave Eggleton, Central Clarion
Last week: Westinghouse 37, Berlin-Brothersvalley 20; Central Clarion 63, Brookville 18
Up next: The winner advances to the PIAA 2A quarterfinals next week to play the winner of the District 10 championship game between Farrell and Mercyhurst Prep
Players to watch: Khalil Green, Westinghouse (Jr., 5-9, 175, QB); Jase Ferguson, Central Clarion (Jr., 6-0, 190, QB/SS)
• Westinghouse: The City League champion Bulldogs got the ball rolling on their efforts to repeat a long run in the state playoffs as they did in reaching the Class 2A championship game a year ago. Junior quarterback Khalil Green had success with his arms and his legs last week as he ran for 65-yard and a 1-yard scores and threw touchdown passes of 13 yards to Lloyd Penn and 14 yards to Tyrese Davis.
• Central Clarion: The Wildcats won the District 9 Class 2A championship last week by crushing Brookville by 45 points. Central Clarion built up a 29-point lead by halftime thanks to junior quarterback Jase Ferguson, who threw for 230 yards and five touchdowns. Brady Quinn scored two touchdowns for the Wildcats and returned a kickoff 87 yards to set up another score.
• Central Clarion is a co-op between Clarion, North Clarion and Clarion-Limestone formed in 2020 after roster numbers at all three schools continued to dip. The Wildcats are a combined 30-10 in four seasons and have now won back-to-back District 9 2A championships.
• This is the second meeting between Westinghouse and Central Clarion, and they have both come in the last two PIAA postseasons. Last year in the first round of the state 2A playoffs at Cupples Stadium in Pittsburgh, the Bulldogs rolled past the Wildcats, 44-8. Westinghouse quarterback Keyshawn Morsillo completed 10 of 17 passes for 168 yards and a touchdown and he ran for 52 yards. Jase Ferguson hit Tommy Smith for the lone Central Clarion score.
• The Bulldogs are 2-0 against District 9 opponents the last four years, beating Central Clarion last season and defeating St. Mary’s in 2019. Westinghouse split two games against Punxsutawney, losing in 1980 before winning in a shutout in 1981, 13-0.
More Football• Connellsville school board decides to opt out of WPIAL football schedule, play as an independent
• PIAA football Class 5A championship preview: Peters Township vs. Imhotep Charter
• PIAA football Class 2A championship game preview: Westinghouse vs. Southern Columbia
• Trib 10: Top 5 teams in power rankings taking their shot at state gold
• PIAA will let Woodland Hills, Charleroi fix enrollment mistakes, avoid promotion to higher classifications