Plenty of movement in Week 2 high school football power rankings
Wednesday, September 4, 2019 | 9:35 PM
After the initial Trib 10 power rankings were released last week, three of the 10 teams were knocked off, prompting some early changes.
Gateway was ranked No. 3 but was stunned by No. 8 Penn-Trafford, dropping the Gators to No. 8 and lifting the Warriors into the top five.
No. 9 Upper St. Clair was beaten by No. 6 Peters Township, and No. 10 Mars was upset by Moon, leaving the Panthers and Fightin’ Planets on the outside looking in this week.
A Class 5A and Class 3A team debut in this week’s power rankings.
Here are the rankings heading into Week 2. These rankings have zero classification boundaries.
WPIAL Football Trib 10
Team, record, this week’s opponent
1. Pine-Richland, 2-0, hosts Moon on Friday
2. Central Catholic, 2-0, hosts No. 4 North Allegheny on Friday on Trib HSSN
3. Thomas Jefferson, 2-0, hosts Belle Vernon on Friday on Trib HSSN
4. North Allegheny, 2-0, at No. 2 Central Catholic on Friday on Trib HSSN
5. Penn-Trafford, 2-0, at Connellsville on Friday on Trib HSSN
6. Peters Township, 2-0, at Woodland Hills on Friday on Trib HSSN
7. Aliquippa, 2-0, at Quaker Valley on Friday on Trib HSSN
8. Gateway, 1-1, at No. 8 Penn-Trafford on Friday on Trib HSSN
9. McKeesport, 2-0, hosts Cathedral Prep on Friday
10. Central Valley, 2-0, at Beaver Falls on Friday on Trib HSSN
Out: Upper St. Clair, Mars
More Football• Plum’s Max Matolcsy verbally commits to Penn
• WPIAL football changes scuttle marquee matchups for Westmoreland County teams
• Ligonier Valley has extra challenge moving to WPIAL
• Frank Morea, pillar of Kiski Area football program, dies at age 90
• A day after his twin brother received one, Penn-Trafford’s Nate Frye gets offer from Butler