Seneca Valley, North Allegheny ADs among 18 candidates vying for WPIAL board
Friday, April 12, 2019 | 12:57 PM
Seneca Valley athletic director Heather Lewis and North Allegheny athletic director Bob Bozzuto are among the school administrators seeking to join the WPIAL board of directors this summer.
In all, 18 candidates including 10 incumbents were on the ballot sent this year to high school principals. The results will be announced Wednesday at the WPIAL’s monthly meeting.
There are 10 at-large board seats available. Those elected will serve a one-year term on the board starting July 1. Ballots were due March 29.
Along with Lewis and Bozzuto, the potential newcomers seeking seats include Penn Hills principal Eric Kostic, California athletic director Chris Minerd, Fox Chapel athletic director Michael O’Brien, Nazareth Prep principal Joe Oliphant, Jefferson-Morgan superintendent Joseph Orr and Freedom athletic director John Rosa.
The incumbents are Hopewell principal Michael Allison, Hempfield principal Kathleen Charlton, Serra Catholic athletic director Bill Cleary, Yough athletic director Tom Evans, Aliquippa principal Alvin Gipson, Mars athletic director Scott Heinhauer, North Hills superintendent Patrick Mannarino, West Allegheny athletic director Dave McBain, Chartiers Valley assistant superintendent Scott Seltzer and Mt. Pleasant principal Ken Williams.
Seltzer is currently the WPIAL president, Mannarino is vice president and Allison is treasurer.
The ballots are returned to the WPIAL in sealed envelopes and delivered to auditors Creese, Smith & Co. to count, WPIAL executive director Tim O’Malley said.
Nine other seats on the 19-person WPIAL board are either voted or appointed by specific constituent groups for two-year terms. Those seats come open in even-numbered years.
- Athletic directors representative
- Girls athletics representative
- Junior high/middle school representative
- Male and female officials representatives
- Male and female parent representatives
- School boards representative
- Superintendents representative
Chris Harlan is a Tribune-Review Staff Writer. You can contact Chris by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter .
More High School Other• McGuffey’s Ed Dalton, Avonworth’s Andrea Patton become WPIAL’s 1st father/daughter athletic director duo
• Gov. Wolf recommends high school sports be delayed until Jan. 1
• Uncertainty remains for spectators hoping to attend high school games
• AD job at Eden Christian leads Latrobe grad back to Western Pennsylvania
• Penn Hills could become 2nd WPIAL school to drop ‘Indians’ nickname