3 WPIAL teams take top spots in latest state rankings
Tuesday, September 24, 2019 | 9:57 PM
Only two teams fell out of the Trib HSSN state rankings following Week 4, but there was other movement in the rankings including a pair of new top-ranked teams.
Mt. Carmel’s stay in the Class 2A top five was one and done after the Red Tornadoes lost to North Schuylkill, 29-17.
A pair of top-ranked teams lost. They both remain in the top five, but are no longer at the top of the mountain.
It was a tough week for the top three teams in Class 5A as Archbishop Wood, Upper Dublin and Penn-Trafford all lost for the first time this season and dropped two spots.
That opened the door for Peters Township and Warwick to move up and take over the No. 1 and No. 2 spots in 5A.
This week, there is one head-to-head matchup involving ranked teams.
In 6A after a week off for both teams, St. Joe’s Prep hosts No. 3 LaSalle College.
Here is the PIAA top five in each of the six classifications prior to Week 5. Their ranking from last week is the number in parenthesis after their record, followed by their district.
1. St. Joseph’s Prep (1-2) (1) (D-12): The defending PIAA champion Hawks did not play in Week 4. They visit No. 3 LaSalle College on Saturday.
3. LaSalle College (4-0) (4) (D-12): The Explorers did not play in Week 4. They host No. 1 St. Joseph’s Prep on Saturday.
5. Nazareth (5-0) (5) (D-11): The Eagles beat Bethlehem Catholic, 27-13, in Week 4. They visit Parkland on Friday.
2. Warwick (5-0) (5) (D-3): The Warriors beat Allentown McCaskey, 49-6, in Week 4. They host Cedar Crest on Friday.
3. Archbishop Wood (3-1) (1) (D-12): The Vikings lost to Peddie School (NJ), 38-9, in Week 4. They visit Roman Catholic on Friday.
4. Upper Dublin (3-1) (2) (1): The Cardinals lost to William Penn Charter, 56-0, in Week 4. They host Cheltenham on Friday.
2. Cathedral Prep (3-2) (1) (D-10): The defending PIAA champion Ramblers lost to Cleveland Benedictine (Ohio), 45-24, in Week 4. They visit Fort Hill (Md) on Thursday.
3. Valley View (5-0) (3) (D-2): The Cougars beat Honesdale, 49-21, in Week 4. They host Berwick on Friday.
4. Dallas (5-0) (4) (D-2): The Mountaineers beat Wyoming Valley West, 49-0, in Week 4. They visit Wilkes-Barre on Friday.
5. Bethlehem Catholic (3-2) (5) (D-11): The Hawks lost to 6A No. 5 Nazareth, 27-13, in Week 4. They host Whitehall on Friday.
2. Middletown (5-0) (2) (D-3): The Blue Raiders beat Steelton-Highspire, 49-21, in Week 4. They visit Boiling Springs on Friday.
3. Wyomissing (5-0) (3) (D-3): The Spartans beat West York, 48-0, in Week 4. They visit Fleetwood on Saturday.
5. Montoursville (5-0) (5) (D-4): The Warriors beat Loyalsock Township, 41-6, in Week 4. They visit Milton on Friday.
1. Southern Columbia (5-0) (1) (D-4): The defending PIAA champion Tigers beat Central Columbia, 62-0, in Week 4. They host South Williamsport on Friday.
4. Wilmington (5-0) (4) (D-10): The Greyhounds beat Conneaut, 51-14, in Week 4. They host Greenville on Friday.
5. Richland (5-0) (NR) (D-6): The Rams beat Somerset, 62-8, in Week 4. They visit Westmont-Hilltop on Saturday.
Out: Mt. Carmel (D-4)
1. Old Forge (4-0) (1) (D-2): The Devils did not play in Week 4. They host Dunmore on Friday.
3. Farrell (3-2) (3) (D-10): The defending PIAA champion Steelers beat Cambridge Springs, 63-0, in Week 4. They visit Mercer on Friday.
5. Williams Valley (5-0) (NR) (D-11): The Vikings beat Juniata, 49-15, in Week 4. They visit Line Mountain on Friday.
Out: Laurel (D-7)
More Football• Ryan Palmieri boosts Pine-Richland with whatever-it-takes attitude
• High school roundup for Oct. 1, 2022: Western Beaver runs past Freedom
• TribLive HSSN WPIAL football rankings: Week ending Oct. 2, 2022
• Jeannette jumps on Riverview for 2nd win
• Kiski Area’s Flemm overcomes injuries, mother’s bout with cancer to become stalwart for football team