Through the Years: Big burst helps Freeport trounce Richland
Thursday, September 29, 2022 | 5:36 PM
Each week throughout the high school football season, the Valley News Dispatch will take a look at the players, coaches and events that shaped our scholastic legacy.
Freeport scored 29 points in a 5-minute span en route to a 38-0 romp over Richland on Sept. 29, 1972. Kent Crytzer ran for three TDs and passed to Dan Leri for two others.
75 years ago
• In a rare Thursday night encounter, touchdowns by Ralph Sadowski and Don Bolce and two PATs by Jim Bartell led Har-Brack to a 14-12 victory over North Catholic.
• Springdale fullback Ottis Quarles scored on a 1-yard smash, and Alex Kozma hauled in a 20-yard pass from Bob Lincoln in a decisive 32-6 win over McKees Rocks.
60 years ago
• Ties remained in fashion at Knoch as the Knights played to a third straight draw, a 12-12 stalemate against Zelienople. The Golden Bears tied the score with 35 seconds left, but Knoch’s Eric McCuen blocked Ted Kennedy’s PAT attempt to preserve the tie for the 1-0-3 Knights.
• Dave Olivo and Dan Fiorentino tallied touchdowns as Arnold blanked Tarentum, 12-0.
50 years ago
40 years ago
• In a showdown between two future NFL players, Burrell and Kittanning played to a 21-21 tie. Burrell’s Tom Brown scored the three Bucs touchdowns and ran for 132 yards, and Kittanning’s Mitch Frerotte recorded 17 tackles — 12 unassisted.
25 years ago
• Matt Lasher ran for 322 yards and four TDs as undefeated Kittanning pounded Knoch, 49-12.
10 years ago
• Burrell’s Cole Bush set a school record with six touchdowns in a game as the Bucs manhandled Kittanning, 56-35, at Red Ullom Field.
Five years ago
More Football• In storied Aliquippa football history, could these Quips show they’re best with another PIAA title?
• PIAA Class A semifinal preview: Union vs. Port Allegany
• PIAA Class 2A semifinal preview: Steel Valley vs. Westinghouse
• Time to play The Birdie’s favorite game show: Leopardy!
• This week on Trib HSSN for week of Nov. 28, 2022