Trib 10: WPIAL champs take their rightful place in top 6 in power rankings
Wednesday, December 1, 2021 | 7:06 PM
The WPIAL playoffs are in the books with five new champions crowned. The results ended several lengthy title droughts among the 2021 champions.
Mt. Lebanon in Class 6A ended a 21-year drought, Serra Catholic in 2A went 14 years between crowns, and Bishop Canevin won gold for the first time in 31 years. Not to mention Penn-Trafford winning the program’s first district championship.
With all six champions playing in the PIAA semifinals this weekend, how many will make it to Hershey?
This is the sixth postseason since the state expanded to six classifications in football.
The WPIAL has sent as many as four teams to the state finals in three of the last five years — 2016, 2017 and 2020.
Only two District 7 teams reached the finals in Hershey in 2018, and three made it in 2019.
These rankings have zero classification boundaries. Teams are listed with overall record and last week’s ranking.
1. Mt. Lebanon, 13-0, (1): The Blue Devils play State College, Saturday on HSSN
2. Central Valley, 13-0, (3): The Warriors play Martinsburg Central, Friday on HSSN
3. Aliquippa, 11-1, (5): The Quips play Jersey Shore on Friday
4. Penn-Trafford, 11-2, (6): The Warriors play Exeter Township, Friday on HSSN
5. Serra Catholic, 14-1, (8): The Eagles play Farrell on Friday
6. Bishop Canevin, 13-1, (10): The Crusaders play Redbank Valley on Friday
7. Belle Vernon, 10-1, (2): The Leopards’ season is over
8. Moon, 12-1, (4): The Tigers’ season is over
9. Central Catholic, 9-3, (NR): The Vikings’ season is over
10. North Catholic, 12-1, (7): The Trojans’ season is over
Out of Power Rankings from last week – Beaver Falls Tigers
More Football• Coach Ron Prady doesn’t want Latrobe football to be 1-hit wonder
• Returning contributors have Quaker Valley girls in position to make noise
• Guido: After memorable season, time to hand out annual football awards
• WPIAL Class 4A final by the numbers: Aliquippa 34, Central Valley 7
• WPIAL Class 3A final by the numbers: Belle Vernon 24, Avonworth 7