Trib HSSN High School Football State Rankings for Nov. 22, 2022
Tuesday, November 22, 2022 | 8:34 PM
There’s a new No. 1 team in Class 2A.
Previously undefeated Lakeland of District 2 saw its state title hopes end Friday with a 42-15 loss to District 11 champion Executive Education in a PIAA first-round game.
That loss clears the way for City League champion Westinghouse to climb one position in the TribLive HSSN state football rankings and take over the top spot in 2A. Now, can the Bulldogs stay there?
Westinghouse hosts a quarterfinal matchup Saturday against No. 2 Farrell, the District 10 champion.
They’re followed in the rankings by Steel Valley and Beaver Falls, who meet Friday in the WPIAL finals at Acrisure Stadium. A familiar name rejoins the 2A rankings at No. 5: Defending PIAA champion Southern Columbia. The Tigers were seeded third in the District 4 playoffs but defeated Mount Carmel, 48-18, in the district championship game.
Overall, seven teams dropped out of the rankings this week.
However, five of the No. 1-ranked teams remained unchanged as St. Joe’s Prep in 6A, Imhotep Charter in 5A, Aliquippa in 4A, Wyomissing in 3A and Steelton-Highspire in A stayed on top with three weeks left in the season.
Here are the latest HSSN rankings in each of the six classifications. Teams are listed with overall record, last week’s ranking and district.
1. St. Joseph’s Prep (9-1) (1) (D-12): The Hawks defeated Northeast, 49-6, in the District 12 championship. They take on District 11 champion Parkland in a PIAA quarterfinal Saturday.
2. Garnet Valley (12-0) (2) (D-1): The Jaguars defeated Downingtown East, 28-17, in a District 1 semifinal. They host Central Bucks West in the district finals Friday.
3. State College (12-0) (3) (D-6): The Little Lions defeated Erie McDowell, 57-50, in three overtimes. They host WPIAL champion North Allegheny in a PIAA quarterfinal on Friday.
5. Harrisburg (9-2) (NR) (D-3): The Cougars defeated Central York, 44-7, in a District 3 semifinal. They take on Manheim Township in the in the district finals on Saturday.
Out: Perkiomen Valley (D-1)
1. Imhotep Charter (8-2) (1) (D-12): The Panthers defeated Roman Catholic, 14-6, in the District 12 final. They face District 11 champion Whitehall in a PIAA quarterfinal on Saturday.
2. Upper Dublin (13-0) (2) (D-1): The Cardinals defeated Plymouth Whitemarsh, 30-0, in a District 1 semifinal. They host West Chester Rustin in the district finals on Friday.
3. Exeter Township (12-0) (3) (D-3): The Eagles defeated Northern York, 21-7, in a District 3 semifinal. They host Cocalico in the district final on Friday.
4. Cathedral Prep (8-2) (4) (D-10): The Ramblers had a bye in the PIAA first round. They visit WPIAL champion Pine-Richland for a PIAA semifinal on Friday.
Out: Roman Catholic (D-12)
2. Bishop McDevitt (10-1) (2) (D-3): The Crusaders defeated Twin Valley, 47-3, in a District 3 semifinal. They host No. 4 Manheim Central in the District 3 final on Friday.
4. Manheim Central (10-1) (5) (D-3): The Barons defeated Lampeter-Strasburg, 42-6, in a District 3 semifinal. They visit No. 2 Bishop McDevitt in the District 3 final on Friday.
Out: Jersey Shore (D-4)
1. Wyomissing (12-0) (1) (D-3): The Spartans defeated West Perry, 63-7, in the District 3 finals. They visit No. 2 Danville in a PIAA quarterfinal on Friday.
2. Danville (12-0) (2) (D-4): The Ironmen defeated Loyalsock, 41-20, in the District 4 finals. They host No. 1 Wyomissing in a PIAA quarterfinal on Friday.
5. Central Martinsburg (11-2) (NR) (D-6): The Dragons defeated Clearfield, 35-6, in the PIAA first round. They take on District 10 champion Grove City in a PIAA quarterfinal on Friday.
Out: Loyalsock Township (D-4)
1. Westinghouse (12-0) (2) (D-8): The Bulldogs defeated Central Clarion, 44-8, in the PIAA first round. They host No. 2 Farrell in a PIAA quarterfinal on Saturday.
2. Farrell (10-1) (3) (D-10): The Steelers defeated Sharpsville, 26-0, in the District 10 finals. They take on No. 1 Westinghouse in a PIAA quarterfinal on Saturday.
4. Beaver Falls (11-1) (NR) (D-7): The Tigers defeated Sto-Rox, 54-16, in a WPIAL semifinal. They take on No. 3 Steel Valley in the WPIAL finals on Friday.
5. Southern Columbia (10-3) (NR) (D-4): The defending PIAA champion Tigers defeated Mount Carmel, 48-18, in the District 4 finals. They take on District 6 champion Bishop Guilfoyle in a PIAA quarterfinal on Friday.
Out: Mount Carmel (D-4), Lakeland (D-2)
1. Steelton-Highspire (11-1) (1) (D-3): The Steamrollers defeated District 5 champion Windber, 37-7, in the PIAA first round. They host District 11 champion Northern Lehigh in a PIAA quarterfinal Saturday.
3. Canton (11-1) (3) (D-4): The Warriors had a bye in the PIAA first round. They take on District 4 champion Canton in a PIAA quarterfinal on Saturday
4. Northern Lehigh (12-1) (4) (D-11): The Bulldogs defeated District 2 champion Lackawanna Trail, 40-7, in the PIAA first round. They take on No. 1 Steelton-Highspire in a PIAA quarterfinal on Saturday.
5. Reynolds (11-1) (NR) (D-10): The Raiders defeated Eisenhower, 28-14, in the District 10 finals. They take on District 9 champion Port Allegany in a PIAA quarterfinal on Friday.
Out: Eisenhower (D-10)
Chris Harlan is a Tribune-Review Staff Writer. You can contact Chris by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter .
More High School Football• Big-play Union tops Port Allegany, advances to PIAA Class A football final
• Westinghouse ends City League’s 25-year wait, tops Steel Valley to reach state finals
• Belle Vernon slams door in 2nd half to beat Martinsburg Central, reach state finals
• Ryan Palmieri accounts for 4 TDs, leads Pine-Richland back to state championship game
• In storied Aliquippa football history, could these Quips show they’re best with another PIAA title?