Trib HSSN Pennsylvania high school football rankings for Sept. 19, 2023
Tuesday, September 19, 2023 | 8:14 PM
There were not a lot of changes in this week’s Trib HSSN PIAA football rankings, but that could be changing big time in Week 4.
Of the 30 ranked teams in the Top 5, only two came up on the short end of the stick last weekend.
In 5A, Roman Catholic lost to Maryland power DeMatha Catholic in five overtimes; however, the Cahillites only dropped one spot.
The only team to drop out of the rankings was Camp Hill Trinity in Class 2A after the Shamrocks lost their second straight game.
The Top 5 might get a major change in Week 4, which features four battles between ranked teams.
The WPIAL has two of those showdowns. In Class 6A, No. 2 North Allegheny will host No. 3 Central Catholic while the top-ranked team in 3A, Belle Vernon, welcomes 4A No. 5 Thomas Jefferson to “The Beach.”
In District 11, Class 6A No. 4 Parkland visits 4A No. 3 Allentown Central Catholic and in District 4, 2A top-ranked Southern Columbia hosts 3A No. 4 Danville.
The teams at the top from last week remain the same with St. Joe’s Prep (6A), Imhotep Charter (5A), Bishop McDevitt (4A), Belle Vernon (3A), Southern Columbia (2A) and Steelton-Highspire (A) still at No. 1.
Here are the latest rankings in each of the six classifications. Teams are listed with overall record, last week’s ranking and district.
1. St. Joseph’s Prep (3-1) (1) (D-12): The defending PIAA champion Hawks defeated Don Bosco Prep (NJ) in Week Three, 28-7. They do not play this weekend.
3. Central Catholic (4-0) (3) (D-7): The Vikings defeated Mt. Lebanon in Week Three, 49-0. They visit No. 2 North Allegheny on Friday on Trib HSSN.
4. Parkland (3-0) (4) (D-11): The Trojans defeated Nazareth in Week Three, 31-24. They visit 4A No. 3 Allentown Central Catholic on Friday.
5. Manheim Township (4-0) (5) (D-3): The Blue Streaks defeated Spring-Ford in Week Three, 63-28. They visit Landisville Hempfield on Friday.
1. Imhotep Charter (4-0) (1) (D-12): The Panthers defeated Malvern Prep in Week Three, 24-14. They visit Abraham Lincoln on Friday.
2. Roman Catholic (3-1) (2) (D-12): The Cahillites lost to DeMatha Catholic (Md.) in Week Three, 25-23 in five overtimes. They visit Cheltenham on Friday.
3. Cathedral Prep (2-1) (3) (D-10): The Ramblers defeated St. Francis (N.Y.) in Week Three, 78-72 in six overtimes. They host Clarksdon Football North (CAN) on Friday.
4. West Chester Rustin (3-0) (4) (D-1): The Golden Knights defeated Kennett in Week Three, 38-0. They host Chichester on Friday.
5. Strath Haven (4-0) (5) (D-1): The Panthers defeated Penncrest in Week Three, 20-14. They visit Upper Darby on Friday.
1. Bishop McDevitt (4-0) (1) (D-3): The defending PIAA champion Crusaders defeated Palmyra in Week Three, 68-7. They visit Cedar Cliff on Friday.
3. Allentown Central Catholic (4-0) (3) (D-11): The Vikings defeated Bethlehem Freedom in Week Three, 35-34. They host 6A No. 4 Parkland on Friday.
4. Pope John Paul II (4-0) (4) (D-1): The Golden Panthers defeated Father Judge in Week Three, 41-20. They visit Upper Perkiomen on Friday.
1. Belle Vernon (3-0) (1) (D-7): The defending PIAA champion Leopards defeated Penn-Trafford in Week Three, 21-0. They host 4A No. 5 Thomas Jefferson on Friday.
2. Wyomissing (4-0) (2) (D-3): The Spartans defeated Berks Catholic in Week Three, 35-7. They host Eastern Lebanon County on Saturday.
3. Neumann-Goretti (2-1) (3) (D-12): The Saints defeated Lansdale Catholic in Week Three, 20-0. They visit West Catholic on Saturday.
4. Danville (4-0) (4) (D-4): The Ironmen defeated Loyalsock Township in Week Three, 28-25. They visit 2A No. 1 Southern Columbia on Friday.
5. Martinsburg Central (4-0) (5) (D-6): The Scarlet Dragons defeated Bellwood-Antis in Week Three, 41-20. They host Bishop Guilfoyle on Friday.
1. Southern Columbia (4-0) (1) (D-4): The defending PIAA champion Tigers defeated Lewisburg in Week Three, 69-13. They host 3A No. 4 Danville on Friday.
2. Farrell (4-0) (2) (D-10): The Steelers defeated Greenville in Week Three, 28-12. They visit Hickory on Friday.
4. Bald Eagle (4-0) (4) (D-6): The Eagles defeated Tyrone in Week Three, 41-22. They host Philipsburg-Osceola on Friday.
5. Richland (4-0) (NR) (D-6): The Rams defeated Bishop McCort in Week Three, 35-16. They visit Forest Hills on Friday.
Out: Camp Hill Trinity (3)
1. Steelton-Highspire (4-0) (1) (D-3): The defending PIAA champion Steamrollers defeated Boiling Springs in Week Three, 55-7. They visit Big Springs on Friday.
3. Canton (4-0) (3) (D-4): The Warriors defeated Towanda in Week Three, 40-0. They visit South Williamsport on Friday.
4. Northern Bedford (4-0) (4) (D-5): The Panthers defeated Everett in Week Three, 34-7. They host Berlin-Brothersvalley on Friday.
5. Lackawanna Trail (4-0) (5) (D-2): The Lions defeated Honesdale in Week Three, 39-13. They visit Dunmore on Friday.
More Football• Pine-Richland grad catches on as receiver at Albany
• Southern Columbia’s 99-yard drive dashes Westinghouse’s state championship hopes
• PIAA football Class 6A championship preview: North Allegheny vs. St. Joseph’s Prep
• Belle Vernon ready to finish job in state championship vs. Northwestern Lehigh
• Connellsville school board decides to opt out of WPIAL football schedule, play as an independent