Uniontown’s Jones Repeats as WPIAL Boys AA Diving Champ
Friday, February 25, 2011 | 12:00 AM
For the second year in a row, Uniontown senior Jonathan Jones walked away golden from the WPIAL AA Diving Championships Friday afternoon at South Park High School. The Bucknell recruit will get another preview of his future college when he and five other seniors represent the WPIAL at Bucknell University in the PIAA Championships.
Jones, who was by far the most impressive diver at the pool, improved his score by nearly 27 points from last year. Moving up from a 2010 bronze medal performance to silver was Richard Klimek of South Fayette and moving from fifth to bronze was West Allegheny's Logan Irving.
Seven of the eight medalists were seniors, with the lone exception being Montour freshman Josh Phegan, who placed 8th.
Here are the top ten finishers with the top six moving on to PIAA Championships. The top eight all medal:
1. Jonathan Jones — Uniontown (422.1.)
2. Richard Klimek — South Fayette (373.50)
3. Logan Irvine — West Allegheny (307.85)
4. R. Cody Barry — West Allegheny (299.65)
5. Jake Murray — Quaker Valley (293.85)
6. Matt Arthurs — Indiana (290.10)
7. Bryce Markwardt — Uniontown (280.50)
8. Josh Phegan –Montour (277.40)
9. Nick Coleman — Beaver (274.90)
10. Stephen Zombek — South Fayette (269.70)
More Swimming• Fox Chapel’s Zoe Skirboll competes with nation’s best swimmers at Olympic qualifiers
• North Allegheny grad Rick Mihm reaches finals in 200 IM at U.S. Olympic trials
• WPIAL products fare well at U.S. Olympic Swim Trials
• Gateway swimmer claims medals, finds motivation at state meet
• Silver lining, record finish for Hampton swimmer Donato