Westmoreland County high school notebook: Another D1 offer for Penn-Trafford football
Thursday, September 3, 2020 | 4:49 PM
A fourth player on the Penn-Trafford football team has an opportunity to play Division I football.
Junior Cade Yacamelli, a wide receiver and defensive back, was offered a spot at Penn of the Ivy League.
An athletic 6-foot, 190-pounder, Yacamelli could see time as a ball carrier this season for the Warriors.
Teammates Ethan Carr, Mason Frye and Nate Frye also have D1 offers. Carr is committed to Villanova, while the Frye twins have matching offers from Butler and Valparaiso.
When Kiski Area had to suspend its football program due to covid-19 exposure, Franklin Regional had to scramble to find a new scrimmage opponent for Saturday.
The Panthers will now host Canon-McMillan, which became a viable option after Peters Township shelved its program after multiple covid cases in the school. Peters was set to scrimmage Canon-McMillan.
Former Yough head football coach Scott Wood will be back on the sidelines this season. He was hired as an assistant at Greensburg Central Catholic.
Wood was not retained at Yough following last season, his fourth with the Cougars. He will coach lineman for the Centurions.
Wood recently had back surgery and is finally able to join the team.
• Franklin Regional senior running back/linebacker Colton Johns received an offer to play at Juniata.
• Penn-Trafford senior running back/defensive back Brad Ford has an offer from King’s College.
Bill Beckner Jr. is a Tribune-Review Staff Writer. You can contact Bill by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter .
More High School Football• Shenango, Rochester top all-conference selections for Big 7 football team
• California leads Tri-County South with 9 all-conference football players
• Head of the Class: Trib HSSN Football Player, Coach of the Year for each classification
• 10 Apollo-Ridge players earn 1st-team honors in Allegheny Conference
• Beaver Falls’ Josh Hough, Laurel’s Mitch Miles earn top conference honors in MAC