Westmoreland County high school notebook: Football standouts still mulling college offers
Friday, December 18, 2020 | 6:08 PM
While Ethan Carr of Penn-Trafford, James Sanders of Jeannette and Jack Dilts of Kiski Area were the only Division I football signees from Westmoreland County on Wednesday, a number of others from the area could sign in February when the NCAA regular signing period begins. It runs from Feb. 3 to April 1 for Division I recruits and Feb. 3 to Aug. 1 for Division II players.
Keep an eye on Norwin senior lineman Anthony Giansante, who had his scholarship from Western Kentucky pulled but is gaining momentum again with a recent offer from Missouri State.
Twins Mason and Nate Frye of Penn-Trafford have matching offers from Valparaiso and Butler, and teammate Brad Ford has preferred walk-on opportunities with Penn State, West Virginia and Akron to consider.
Yough standout C.J. Waldier has preferred walk-on offers from Robert Morris and Sacred Heart.
Waldier and Ford also have Division II offers.
Franklin Regional baseball standout Louie Kegerreis, a power-hitting shortstop/third baseman, has opted to take a gap year before beginning college baseball.
He said the move is because of the uncertainty with the covid-19 pandemic. A senior, Kegerreis now will be in the recruiting class of 2022.
• Hempfield senior lineman Sean Knight picked up an offer from Division II Fairmont State.
• Hannah Gnibus, a senior shortstop at Mt. Pleasant, committed to play softball at Pitt-Johnstown. She is expected to play a key role on a strong defense this spring in her final season with the Lady Vikings.
Bill Beckner Jr. is a Tribune-Review Staff Writer. You can contact Bill by email at email@example.com or via Twitter .
More High School Recruiting• Notre Dame latest Power 5 school to offer Belle Vernon sophomore Quinton Martin
• Former Pitt assistant Marion joins Texas staff, immediately offers WPIAL stars Gallagher and Martin
• Westmoreland high school notebook: Soccer standout DiFalco believes Duquesne is best fit for him
• Franklin Regional soccer star DiFalco commits to Duquesne
• Westmoreland football players make it official on signing day