Westmoreland week ahead: Oct. 16-22
Sunday, October 15, 2017 | 6:30 PM
The top WPIAL golfers will join players from five other districts at the PIAA Western Regional tournaments at Tom's Run Golf Course, located at Chestnut Ridge Resort in Blairsville. The top 12 boys in Class AAA and AA, and the top 11 girls in each class advance to the PIAA Championships on Oct. 23-24 at Heritage Hills Resort in York.
The regular season winds to a close as teams get ready for the WPIAL playoffs. Notable games include Laurel Highlands at Belle Vernon and Greensburg Salem at Mt. Pleasant in Section 2-AAA, and Jeannette at Greensburg Central Catholic in Section 1-A.
• Three notable nonsection games are Fox Chapel at Penn-Trafford, Norwin at North Allegheny and Plum at Franklin Regional.
Monessen is flirting with its first playoff spot in 11 years. The Greyhounds host Geibel.
Nonsection games can serve as quality playoff tune-ups. Some good examples include Franklin Regional at Plum, and Greensburg Central Catholic at Greensburg Salem.
The WPIAL postseason continues with section doubles tournaments. The top finishers will advance to the finals Thursday and Friday.
Norwin heads to rival Penn-Trafford for the Section 3-AAAA finale. Both teams clinched playoff spots. Latrobe visits Hempfield in another Section 3 match.
• Deer Lakes at Derry is a match between playoff teams in Section 5-AA.
The WPIAL soccer committee will meet to draw up playoff brackets. Opening-round games are scheduled to begin Saturday.
Plum at Norwin is a top nonsection game on the schedule.
A key Section 4-A match to watch has Trinity Christian at Greensburg Central Catholic. It will be for the section title. Both teams are 10-2.
Penn-Trafford is on pace for its second undefeated regular season in three years. The top-ranked Warriors host Kiski Area in a Class 5A Big East game.
• Belle Vernon at West Mifflin could be interesting in the Class 4A Big Nine, and Trinity at Greensburg Salem might be for a playoff spot.
• Greensburg Central Catholic could step closer to a playoff spot in the Class A Eastern with a home win against Bishop Canevin.
• Top nonconference matchups include Central Catholic at Norwin, Franklin Regional at North Hills, and Mt. Pleasant at Beaver.
The WPIAL will put together playoff brackets for opening-round games.
The WPIAL playoffs are scheduled to begin.
Bill Beckner Jr. is a Tribune-Review Staff Writer. You can contact Bill by email at email@example.com or via Twitter .
More High School Soccer Boys• Trib HSSN May Madness: Pat McAfee, Plum vs. Steve Breaston, Woodland Hills
• Connellsville’s Luke Peperak headed to Pitt
• Veshio tabbed to lead perennially powerful Quaker Valley boys soccer program
• Century Soccer nears program record for college recruits
• H.S. notebook: New Penn-Trafford soccer coach hopes to ‘take it to the next level’