WPIAL Team Wrestling Playoff Picture
Monday, January 16, 2012 | 6:07 PM
On Wednesday, January 25, 2012, a one-day section championship tournament doubleheader will be held prior to the WPIAL team championship tournament. At the section championship tournament, the first place finisher from each subsection will wrestle the second place team from the opposite subsection in the same section. The two winners will then wrestle for the section championship. The winner will be declared the section champion and will be presented the section plaque. The defeated team will be the 2nd place finisher in the section. The two defeated teams in the preliminary match will wrestle for 3rd and 4th place in the section. The fifth qualifier will be the winner of a single match held on the same night (January 25, 2012) as the section championship tournament between the third place team from each subsection.
In the event of a two-way tie for first or second, head to head competition will prevail. A tie of three or more teams will be broken by comparing the head-to-head competition between the tied teams that may result in one or more of the teams demonstrating a higher cumulative total of victories. If the three or more tied teams have identical records against each other, the NFHS tie breaking system (Rule 9-2-2) will be used to break the tie. The same procedure will be used to break a tie for the third place finisher from each subsection.
As we enter the final week of wrestling’s regular season, we present all of the WPIAL section standings possibilities.
All matches are this Wednesday night, Jan. 18th, unless otherwise noted.
Class AAA – Subsection 1A
– The winner of Kiski Area (4-0) at Pittsburgh Central Catholic (4-0) is first. The loser is second.
– The winner of Franklin Regional (2-2) at Gateway (2-2) is third.
Class AAA – Subsection 1B
– Greenburg-Salem (4-0) has clinched first place by virtue of its prior win over Latrobe (3-1).
– Latrobe has clinched second because of its previous wins over Penn-Trafford (2-2) and Norwin (2-2).
– With a win against Plum (1-3) at home on Tuesday, Penn-Trafford finishes in third place.
– In order to finish third, Norwin must defeat Greensburg-Salem on the road and hope that Penn-Trafford is upset by Plum.
Class AAA – Subsection 2A
– Connellsville (3-0), with earlier wins over Hempfield (2-1) and Belle Vernon (2-1), has clinched first place.
– The winner of Hempfield at Belle Vernon is second. The loser is third.
Class AAA – Subsection 2B
– The winner of Elizabeth Forward (4-0) at Ringgold (4-0) is first. The loser finishes second.
– The winner of West Mifflin (2-2) at Thomas Jefferson (2-2) is third.
Class AAA – Subsection 3A
– The winner of Hampton (4-0) at Butler (4-0) is first. The loser is second.
– If Mars (2-2) wins at home against Knoch (1-3), the Planets are third.
– If Knoch upsets Mars and Fox Chapel (1-3) wins at Shaler, there would be a three-way tie at 2-3 between Fox Chapel, Knoch, and Mars. The National Federation of High School (NFHS) tie-breaker system would be used to determine the third place finisher.
Class AAA – Subsection 3B
– North Allegheny (4-0) has clinched first place with its prior win over Hopewell (3-1).
– Hopewell has clinched second place with wins over Pine-Richland (2-2) and North Hills (2-2).
– Pine-Richland earns third place with a win at home over Seneca Valley.
– If North Hills upsets North Allegheny on the road Wednesday and Seneca Valley beats Pine-Richland, the Indians are third.
– If North Hills loses and Seneca Valley beats Pine-Richland, the NFHS tie-breaker system will be used to determine the third place representative between the three teams.
Class AAA – Subsection 4A
– Canon-McMillan (4-0), with prior wins over Chartiers Valley (3-1) and Upper St. Clair (3-1), has clinched first place.
– The winner of Chartiers Valley at Upper St. Clair finishes second. The loser is third.
Class AAA – Subsection 4B
– The winner of Waynesburg (4-0) at Peters Township (4-0) finishes first. The loser is second.
– Trinity (2-2) has clinched third place because of prior wins over Mt. Lebanon (1-3) and Bethel Park (1-3).
Class AA – Subsection 1A
– The winner of South Fayette (3-1) at Chartiers-Houston (4-0) finishes in first place. If Chartiers-Houston loses, the Bucs finish second.
– If South Fayette loses to Chartiers-Houston and Burgettstown (2-2) wins on the road at Fort Cherry (2-2), Burgettstown is second and South Fayette is third because of the Blue Devils’ prior win over the Lions.
– If South Fayette loses to Chartiers-Houston and Fort Cherry beats Burgettstown, South Fayette is second and Fort Cherry is third because of the Lions’ previous victory over the Rangers.
Class AA – Subsection 1B
– Freedom (5-1) has clinched first place by virtue of its prior win over South Side (4-1).
– South Side has clinched second place because of its prior win over Laurel (3-2)
– If Laurel wins at Beaver (2-3), the Spartans are third.
– If Beaver beats Laurel and Ellwood City (2-3) wins at Central Valley (2-3), Beaver would be the third place team by virtue of wins over both Laurel and Ellwood City.
– If Beaver beats Laurel and Central Valley defeats Ellwood City, the NFHS tie-breaker system would be used to determine the third place representative between Beaver, Central Valley, and Laurel.
Class AA – Subsection 2A
– If Jefferson-Morgan (4-0) wins at West Greene (3-1); Jefferson-Morgan is first, Bentworth (3-1) is second, and West Green is third.
– If West Greene upsets Jefferson-Morgan and Bentworth wins at Beth-Center (0-4), the NFHS tie-breaker system would be used to determine the first place team. Second and third place would then be determined using head-to-head results.
Class AA – Subsection 2B
– Derry (4-0) has clinched first place by virtue of its prior win over Southmoreland (3-1).
– If Southmoreland wins at Yough (2-2), the Scotties are second and Mt. Pleasant (2-2) is third.
– If Yough wins and Mt. Pleasant wins at Jeannette (0-4), then Yough, Mt. Pleasant, and Southmoreland would be tied for second at 3-2 and the NFHS tie-breaker system would be used to determine the second place team. Third place would then be determined using head-to-head results.
Class AA – Subsection 3A
– Keystone Oaks (3-0) has clinched first place because of its previous win over South Allegheny (2-1).
– South Allegheny (3-1) has clinched second place.
– The winner of Riverside (1-2) at Shady Side Academy (1-2) finishes in third place.
Class AA – Subsection 3B
– The winner of Burrell (4-0) at Valley (4-0) finishes first and the loser is second.
– Kittanning (2-2) is third with a win at Highlands (1-3).
– If Highlands wins and Summitt Academy (1-3) wins at Elderton (0-4), the NFHS tie-breaker system would be used to determine the third place representative between Highlands, Kittanning, and Summitt Academy.
More Wrestling• WPIAL wrestlers shine at Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic as Team PA knocks off Team USA
• Waynesburg routs Central Dauphin to capture 1st PIAA wrestling title
• 2021 Tribune-Review Westmoreland County wrestling all-stars
• 2021 Trib HSSN wrestling all-stars
• Trib HSSN Wrestler of the Year: Seneca Valley’s Herrera-Rondon dominates like no other