Alle-Kiski high school lookahead: Week of Aug. 27-Sept. 1
Sunday, August 26, 2018 | 8:18 PM
- Freeport has won at least a share of the Section 1-AA championship for three consecutive seasons, and the Yellowjackets are on a six-year run of making the postseason. They’ll visit rival Burrell for a key early-season match. Led by senior Tiger Hubbard, the Bucs finished on the cusp of the postseason in 2017 and hope to challenge the Yellowjackets in the section.
- Fox Chapel boys golf, which finished sixth at last season’s WPIAL Class AAA championships, takes part in the Sewickley Invitational. The host Panthers are the five-time defending WPIAL Class AA champions.
- Knoch girls tennis hosts Indiana in a matchup between the top two finishers in Section 3-AA last season. The Knights claimed the section crown on their way to a second-place finish in the WPIAL.
- A pair of local girls golf teams meet as Kiski Area hosts Fox Chapel in Section 4-AAA. The visiting Foxes finished second in the WPIAL and fourth in the state last season.
- Freeport faces a Week 1 test in the new-look Class 3A Big East Conference, hosting Derry in both teams’ season opener. The Yellowjackets, led by senior quarterback Austin Romanchak and running back Conor Selinger, are coming off a playoff appearance in 2017. Derry made it to the WPIAL semifinals and 2016 and was a postseason qualifier again last year.
- In Burrell’s Big East opener, the Bucs host conference favorite North Catholic, a newcomer from Class 2A. Trojans junior linebacker Nikhai Hill-Green is ranked by Rivals as the No. 3 junior in the state.
- Leechburg (0-1) gets the ultimate test in its Eastern Conference opener: a matchup with defending WPIAL and PIAA Class A champion Jeannette. The Blue Devils are looking to snap a 15-game conference losing streak.
- Soccer season gets underway, as Deer Lakes plays a girls/boys doubleheader at Winchester Thurston. Both Lancers teams are coming off appearances in the WPIAL playoffs in 2017 and return several players from those teams. The Winchester Thurston boys advanced to the WPIAL Class A semifinals a year ago.
- It’s a matchup of defending PIAA girls volleyball champions as Freeport (Class AA) hosts North Allegheny (Class AAAA). The Yellowjackets won their first state title last season, while the Tigers claimed their sixth.
- Springdale hits the road for its Class A Eastern Conference football opener against Imani Christian. The Saints finished as WPIAL runner-up last season and have championship aspirations this fall. Apollo-Ridge visits Summit Academy for its Allegheny Conference opener.
- Fox Chapel girls soccer kicks off its season with a home nonsection game against defending WPIAL Class AAAA champion Penn-Trafford. This is a rematch of P-T’s 3-2 victory over the Foxes in last season’s WPIAL quarterfinals.
- Deer Lakes boys soccer plays a second strong nonsection opponent in as many days with a home game against Seton LaSalle, the third-place team from Class A in 2017.
- Deer Lakes hosts its girls volleyball tournament, with Springdale and St. Joseph among the competing teams.
- The annual Gateway Invitational begins the cross country season for a handful of local teams, with Fox Chapel, Kiski Area, Plum and Riverview among the teams taking part in the event at Boyce Park.
Doug Gulasy is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Doug at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @dgulasy_Trib.
Doug Gulasy is a Tribune-Review Staff Writer. You can contact Doug at 412-388-5830, email@example.com or via Twitter .
More High School Other• High school scores, summaries and schedules for Feb. 20, 2024
• High school scores, summaries and schedules for Feb. 19, 2024
• A-K Valley Senior Spotlight: Burrell’s Leah McCandless
• Westmoreland County Senior Spotlight: Norwin’s Angela Furin
• High school sports scores, schedules for Feb. 18, 2024