Mt. Pleasant makes MaxPreps national rankings
Tuesday, May 21, 2019 | 12:35 PM
Mt. Pleasant has found its way into the national softball rankings.
The lone undefeated team in the WPIAL, the Vikings (16-0) are seated at No. 18 this week in the MaxPreps Top 25.
Mt. Pleasant, the top seed in WPIAL Class 4A, will take on No. 4 Thomas Jefferson (15-3) in the semifinals at 3 p.m. Wednesday at Seton Hill University.
The Vikings, in the semis for the fourth straight time, won a WPIAL 3A title in 2016 and followed with a PIAA 4A championship ‘17. They are the only team from Pennsylvania to make the rankings.
“It is an honor to be recognized,” Mt. Pleasant first-year coach Chris Brunson said. “There are so many great teams all over the country with amazing players. We are proud to represent Mt. Pleasant and Pennsylvania.”
Brunson does not see the ranking as a distraction on the eve of the district final four.
“We can only control what we can control,” he said. “The kids are pretty focused and grounded.”
Complete MaxPreps Top 25:
1. Lakewood Ranch, Bradenton, Fla. (29-0)
2. Norco, Calif. (31-1)
3. Foothill, Pleasanton, Calif. (25-0)
4. Winter Springs, Fla. (29-0)
5. Male, Louisville, Ky. (31-0)
6. Keller, Texas (33-3-1)
7. Coral Springs Charter, Coral Springs, Fla. (27-1)
8. Klein Collins, Spring, Texas (35-2)
9. Oshkosh North, Oshkosh, Wi. (25-0)
10. Keystone, La Grange, Ohio (24-0)
11. Marist, Chi (31-2)
12. Katy, Texas (26-2)
13. Barbers Hill, Mt. Belvieu, Texas (40-2)
14. St. John-Vianney, Holmdel, N.J. (20-0)
15. Neshoba Central, Philadelphia, Miss. (33-2)
16. Hartsville, S.C. (29-0)
17. Lincoln-Way Centra, New Lenox, Ill. (30-2)
18. Mt. Pleasant, Pa. (16-0)
19. St. Joseph, Trumbull, Conn. (21-0)
20. Apopka Fla. (27-1)
21. Shadow Ridge, Las Vegas (31-2)
22. Richland, Wash. (23-0)
23. Mater Dei Catholic, Chula Vista, Calif. (29-4)
24. West Stanly, Oakboro, N.C. (24-0)
25. Angleton, Texas (35-1)
Bill Beckner Jr. is a Tribune-Review Staff Writer. You can contact Bill by email at email@example.com or via Twitter .
Tags: Mt. Pleasant
More High School Softball• H.S. notebook: Baseball, softball sections get new look next spring
• Senior Spotlight: Thomas Jefferson pitcher overcame obstacles to become one of WPIAL’s best
• Decade’s best WPIAL finals: Softball No. 8
• Senior Spotlight: Elizabeth Forward’s Pinneri puts out fires on, off the field
• Decade’s best WPIAL finals: Softball No. 9