North Allegheny moves into Trib HSSN state football rankings for Week 3
Tuesday, September 10, 2019 | 4:16 PM
As opposed to last week, there were only a couple of changes to the weekly Trib HSSN state football rankings following Week 2 games.
Three teams lost and tumbled out of their respective classifications’ top 5. Ironically, in all three cases, the winning teams replaced those fallen squads in the state rankings.
In Class 5A, for a second straight week, the top team lost and fell all the way out. Manheim Central was blitzed by Warwick in a District 3 matchup. The Warriors replaced the Barons in the top five at No. 5.
Finally in Class 3A, Wyomissing stunned North Schuylkill last Friday with the winning Spartans debuting at No. 4 while the losing Spartans exited the rankings.
Here is the PIAA Top 5 in each of the six classifications prior to Week 3. Their ranking from last week is in parenthesis after their record, followed by their district.
1. St. Joseph’s Prep (1-1, 1, D-12): The defending PIAA champion Hawks beat St. John’s (D.C.), 34-30, in Week 2. They host IMG Academy (Fla.) on Friday.
3. LaSalle College (3-0, 4, D-12): The Explorers beat Malvern Prep, 24-13, in Week 2. They visit Haverford School on Saturday.
4. Bethlehem Freedom (3-0, 5, D-1): The Patriots beat Parkland, 21-18, in Week 2. They host Nazareth on Friday.
Out: Central Catholic (D-7)
1. Archbishop Wood (3-0, 2, D-12): The Vikings beat Central Dauphin East, 35-0, in Week 2. They host Christ the King (N.Y.) on Saturday.
2. Upper Dublin (2-0, 3, 1): The Cardinals did not play in Week 2. They visit Hatboro-Horsham on Friday.
5. Warwick (3-0, NR, D-3): The Warriorss beat Manheim Central, 37-7, in Week 2. They visit Landisville Hempfield on Friday.
Out: Manheim Central (D-3)
1. Cathedral Prep (3-0, 1, D-10): The defending PIAA champion Ramblers beat McKeesport, 33-14, in Week 2. They visit St. Edwards (Ohio) on Friday.
3. Valley View (3-0, 3, D-2): The Cougars beat West Scranton, 37-6, in Week 2. They visit Scranton Prep on Saturday.
4. Dallas (3-0, 4, D-2): The Mountaineers beat Hazleton, 41-13, in Week 2. They host Pittston on Friday.
5. Bethlehem Catholic (2-1, 5, D-11): The Hawks beat Bethlehem Liberty, 27-22, in Week 2. They host Parkland on Saturday.
2. Middletown (3-0, 2, D-3): The Blue Raiders beat Bishop McDevitt, 6-2, in Week 2. They visit Camp Hill on Friday.
4. Wyomissing (3-0, NR, D-3): The Spartans beat North Schuylkill, 31-14, in Week 2. They host Blue Mountain on Sunday.
5. Conwell-Egan Catholic (2-1, 3, D-12): The Eagles lost to William Penn Charter, 44-21, in Week 2. They host Lansdale Catholic on Saturday.
Out: North Schuylkill (D-11)
1. Southern Columbia (3-0, 1, D-4): The defending PIAA champion Tigers beat Selinsgrove, 76-0, in Week 2. They visit Shamokin on Friday.
3. Ligonier Valley (3-0, 3, D-6): The Rams beat United via a forfeit in Week 2. They visit Saltsburg on Friday.
4. Wilmington (3-0, 4, D-10): The Greyhounds beat Northwestern, 42-14, in Week 2. They visit Lakeview on Friday.
5. West Catholic (2-1, 5, D-12): The Burrs beat Hudson Catholic (N.J.), 35-14, in Week 2. They visit Archbishop Carroll on Saturday.
1. Old Forge (3-0, 1, D-2): The Devils beat Susquehanna, 47-14, in Week 2. They host Holy Redeemer on Friday.
3. Farrell (1-2, 3, D-10): The defending PIAA champion Steelers beat Union City, 35-0, in Week 2. They host West Middlesex on Friday.
More High School Football• Ryan Palmieri boosts Pine-Richland with whatever-it-takes attitude
• 5 things we learned in Week 5: Rodney Gallagher makes history again
• High school roundup for Oct. 1, 2022: Western Beaver runs past Freedom
• TribLive HSSN WPIAL football rankings: Week ending Oct. 2, 2022
• Jeannette jumps on Riverview for 2nd win