Seven WPIAL teams remain among Trib HSSN’s state softball rankings
Saturday, June 8, 2019 | 7:26 PM
Four of the six top-ranked teams from a week ago survived the first two rounds of the state playoffs and remain on top in the next-to-last edition of the Trib HSSN state softball rankings.
Hazleton, West Chester East, Pine Grove and West Greene are joined at No. 1 this week by Elizabeth Forward and Cranberry.
There were 14 teams that slipped out of the rankings and six that hung on at No. 5 even though their dreams of state gold came to an end.
Next week’s final rankings will include all of the teams below with a possible shuffling of the deck depending on what happens in the semifinals and title games.
Seven teams from the WPIAL remain, with Hempfield, Penn-Trafford, Elizabeth Forward, Mt. Pleasant, Frazier and West Greene alive heading into Monday’s final four.
Avonworth will not win a PIAA crown, but the Antelopes finished in the top five for the season in Class 3A.
Here is the latest PIAA Top Five in each of the six classifications through Friday, June 7.
The team’s ranking from last week is the number in parenthesis after their record followed by their district.
1. Hazleton (22-1) (1) (D-2)
2. Hempfield (18-6) (2) (D-7)
3. Central Dauphin (23-2) (3) (D-3)
4. Spring-Ford (24-1) (NR) (D-1)
5. Downingtown West (23-3) (4) (D-1)
Out: Parkland (21-4) (D-11)
1. West Chester East (24-2) (1) (D-3)
2. Lampeter-Strasburg (27-1) (NR) (D-3)
3. Donegal (24-2) (NR) (D-3)
4. Penn-Trafford (21-2) (NR) (D-7)
5. Pittston (19-4) (2) (D-2)
Out: Twin Valley (26-3) (D-3), Bangor (16-8) (D-11), Archbishop Ryan (18-9) (D-12)
1. Elizabeth Forward (19-3) (2) (D-7)
2. Mt. Pleasant (19-1) (NR) (D-7)
3. West Perry (22-5) (NR) (D-3)
4. Honesdale (16-9) (NR) (D-4)
5. Nazareth Academy (18-3) (1) (D-1)
Out: Grove City (16-6), Scranton Prep (14-6) (D-2), Mifflinburg (18-5) (D-4)
1. Pine Grove (26-0) (1) (D-11)
2. Bald Eagle (21-3) (4) (D-6)
3. Bloomsburg (17-8) (NR) (D-4)
4. Clearfield (14-9) (NR) (D-9)
5. Avonworth (21-3) (2) (D-7)
Out: Girard (18-4) (D-10), Mid Valley Secondary Center (17-4) (D-2)
1. Cranberry (15-5) (4) (D-9)
2. Frazier (19-4) (NR) (D-7)
3. Susquenita (19-6) (NR) (D-3)
4. Brandywine Heights (16-9) (NR) (D-3)
5. Marion Center (20-3) (1) (D-6)
Out: Laurel (21-3) (D-17), Conemaugh Township (20-2) (D-5), Union City (18-3) (D-10)
1. West Greene (21-4) (1) (D-7)
2. Williams Valley (25-2) (2) (D-11)
3. Millersburg (18-4) (NR) (D-3)
4. DuBois Central Catholic (16-9) (NR) (D-9)
5. Bristol (19-4) (5) (D-3)
Out: Claysburg-Kimmel (20-5) (D-9), Bucktail (19-3) (D-4)
More High School Softball• High school softball players finding diamonds to play on in pop-up summer leagues
• Trib HSSN June Madness finals: Maura Huwalt, South Park vs. Rachel Martindale, North Allegheny
• Trib HSSN June Madness semifinal: Amani Johnson, East Allegheny vs. Rachel Martindale, North Allegheny
• Beaver County league gives high school softball players a place to play
• Trib HSSN June Madness quarterfinals: Rachel Martindale, North Allegheny vs. Nikki Doria, South Park