Through the years: Field goal foiled Freeport in front of big crowd in 1983
Thursday, September 14, 2023 | 11:01 AM
Each week throughout the high school football season, the Valley News Dispatch will take a look back at the games, players and events that have shaped local scholastic history.
One of the largest crowds ever at Freeport Borough Field watched Jeannette defeat the Yellowjackets, 3-0, on Sept. 16, 1983, via a 20-yard field goal by Mark Brasco. Freeport’s Dave Seagriff and Karl Montgomery earlier blocked a Brasco field goal attempt.
75 years ago
• A 75-yard pass play from Julius Stofega to Bill Vrudney highlighted a 26-0 victory for East Deer-Frazer over Snowden Township, now known as South Park High School.
• Fourth-quarter touchdowns by Har-Brack reserves John Chernik and Bill Wosiluk lifted the Tigers to a 20-7 victory over Central Catholic at Heights Field.
60 years ago
• In a clash of unbeatens, Freeport’s Chip Young ran for two touchdowns and scored another on a pass from Ron Canterna as the Yellowjackets held off a late Arnold rally to record a 20-13 victory before a full house at Freeport Junior High field.
• Washington Township handed Saltsburg its 35th consecutive defeat with a 34-6 victory. Fred Spurlock recovered from an injury in time to score the first two Crimson Tide TDs.
50 years ago
• Kiski Area won its 45th consecutive Foothills Conference regular-season game with a 14-7 decision at Davis Field. Vince Woody and Paul Linkes scored the Cavaliers touchdowns.
• Knoch halfback Cy Janoski set a school single-game rushing record with a 225-yard performance and a pair of TDs as the Knights downed Kittanning, 31-6.
40 years ago
• A 59-yard pass from Dave Brown to Len Augustino gave Valley the lead for good, and Kevin Heard added two touchdowns as the Vikings defeated Kittanning, 20-7.
25 years ago
• Tyrone Woody returned the second-half kickoff 91 yards to move unbeaten Highlands toward a 27-7 victory over Elizabeth-Forward in a game dedicated to ailing former coach Fran Rogel.
• Tony Lamia’s 55-yard punt return with 48 seconds to go treated a sellout crowd at Plum to a 20-14 victory over Gateway. The Mustangs had tied the score with 2 minutes, 7 seconds left on a 15-yard pass from Tony Bonura to Erich Schoeneberger.
10 years ago
• Knoch stopped Hollidaysburg four times inside the Knights 1 late in the fourth quarter to secure a 22-17 victory over the Tigers. The four plays were on the back end of a 16-play Hollidaysburg drive that came up empty.
Five years ago
• Ryne Wallace passed for 390 yards and five touchdowns to lead Kiski Area to a 37-0 home victory. Jack Colecchi and Troy Kuhn tallied a pair of TD receptions each.
More High School Football• PIAA football semifinal previews for Dec. 1-2, 2023
• Checking in on past winners of the Bill Fralic Memorial Award
• Through the years: Aspinwall claimed 1943 Class B championship
• Unheralded QB runs his family’s business — Aliquippa’s offense — with championship efficiency
• Trib 10: WPIAL champs chasing state gold occupy top 6 spots in power rankings