Through the Years: In 1947, Bud Carson welcomed night football to Freeport
Thursday, October 6, 2022 | 11:01 AM
Each week throughout the high school football season, the Valley News Dispatch will take a look at the players, coaches and events that shaped our scholastic legacy.
75 years ago
• Ken High remained undefeated with a 32-12 win over German Township. Vince Pisano and Harold Vestrand registered two TDs each.
60 years ago
• Charles “Chip” Young scored three touchdowns as Freeport remained in AIC contention with a 27-6 victory at Kittanning.
• Wayne Gent scored a pair of touchdowns as undefeated Verona blanked East Deer, 20-0, at muddy Creighton Field.
50 years ago
40 years ago
• Kittanning’s Doug Emminger set a school record for touchdown passes in a season in a 41-6 victory over Leechburg. Emminger, the WPIAL’s passing leader for the season, was 11 of 13 for 132 yards and three scores.
• Despite a teachers’ strike in both school systems, Valley managed a 26-16 victory at Swissvale. Mike White threw TD passes to Nicky Lombardo and Marc Licata.
25 years ago
10 years ago
Five years ago
• Austin Romanchak ran for three touchdowns as Freeport downed Apollo-Ridge, 49-7.
More High School Football• Wildcat attack sparks dominant 3rd quarter as Avonworth runs away from West Mifflin
• WPIAL Class A football roundup: Colin Brady runs for 301 yards, 4 TDs as West Greene outlasts Monessen
• WPIAL Class 2A football roundup: Jay Wrona throws for 289 yards, 4 TDs in Mohawk victory
• WPIAL Class 3A football roundup: Eric Doerue, South Park take down No. 5 Seton LaSalle
• WPIAL Class 4A football roundup: Armstrong edges North Catholic in Greater Allegheny