Trinity Edges Woodland Hills for WPIAL Rifle Crown
Wednesday, February 8, 2017 | 11:10 AM
Days after the championship of the National Football League went to overtime to determine the winner, the 2017 WPIAL Team Rifle title wasn't decided until a tiebreaker gave a slim edge to Trinity over Woodland Hills. The Hillers edged the Wolverines 800 - 63x - 69x to 800 - 63x - 68x, ending Woodland Hills three year run as district team champions.
The one additional bulls-eye gave Trinity their district leading 18th Team Rifle championship but first title since 2011.
Here are all of the championship scores. The 2017 Individual Rifle Championships are Thursday, also at the Dormont-Mt. Lebanon Sportsmens Club in Canonsburg.
1) TRINITY HILLERS - 800 - 63X - 69x
2) Woodland Hills Wolverines - 800 - 63x - 68x
3) Hempfield Spartans - 799 - 65x
4) Butler Golden Tornado - 798 - 57x
5) Waynesburg Raiders - 798 - 56x
6) McGuffey Highlanders - 798 - 53x
7) West Greene Pioneers - 795 - 47x
More Rifle• WPIAL approves section alignments for winter sports, basketball must wait
• WPIAL basketball brackets unveiled, team rifle finals set for Tuesday
• Plum takes aim with revamped rifle roster
• Trib HSSN rewind: A look back at the 2018-19 WPIAL rifle season
• Waynesburg’s Phillips defends WPIAL rifle title