Westmoreland high school look-ahead: Week of June 11, 2018
Sunday, June 10, 2018 | 4:03 PM
Four county softball teams and one baseball team will look to continue their runs in the PIAA postseason with semifinal games across the state.
• Hempfield softball (22-3), in pursuit of a third consecutive state title, plays District 11 runner-up Nazareth (22-4) at 4 p.m. at Chambersburg High school in the Class 6A semis.
• In Class 4A softball, Mt. Pleasant (19-1) faces District 9 champion Punxsutawney (17-3) at 2:30 p.m. at St. Francis (Pa.). It is the first game of a local doubleheader in Loretto. WPIAL Class 3A champion Southmoreland (12-7) goes against District 6 champion Philipsburg-Osceola (23-1) at 5.
• And in Class A, Monessen (17-4) gets rival West Greene (21-4) in the semis at 2 p.m. at Peters Township.
• Greensburg Central Catholic baseball (16-6) will take on WPIAL champion Vincentian (18-4) in the PIAA Class A semifinals at 4 p.m. at Wild Things Park in Washington.
Monday's winners move on to state finals set for Thursday and Friday at Penn State.
Some of the area's top football players who were seniors last season will suit up for the Foothills Football Classic all-star game, set for 7 p.m. at Hempfield's Spartan Stadium.
Some of the top players in the game include Jeannette's Robert Kennedy, Hempfield's Justin Sliwoski, Penn-Trafford's Cam Laffoon and Brock Dieter of Norwin.
Penn-Trafford's Will Mayr will play in the Big 33 Football Classic at 7 p.m. at Central Dauphin's Landis Field, near Harrisburg.
Bill Beckner Jr. is a Tribune-Review Staff Writer. You can contact Bill by email at email@example.com or via Twitter .
More High School Softball• H.S. notebook: Baseball, softball sections get new look next spring
• Senior Spotlight: Thomas Jefferson pitcher overcame obstacles to become one of WPIAL’s best
• Decade’s best WPIAL finals: Softball No. 8
• Senior Spotlight: Elizabeth Forward’s Pinneri puts out fires on, off the field
• Decade’s best WPIAL finals: Softball No. 9