What to watch for in WPIAL sports on May 4, 2022: Softball playoff berths on the line
Wednesday, May 4, 2022 | 12:42 AM
Win and you’re in. Those four words are sweet music to the ears of any high school team on the bubble as section play winds down.
In district softball, several teams can earn a playoff berth with a victory Wednesday — weather permitting, of course.
• In Section 1-5A, the winner of Plum at Penn Hills game will clinch a playoff berth. If the Mustangs lose, they are out. If the Indians lose, they could still clinch with a Woodland Hills win over Plum on Thursday.
• In Section 1-2A, Fort Cherry and Carlynton can clinch if they pull off upsets Wednesday. The Rangers visit third-place Burgettstown while the Cougars are home to first-place Chartiers-Houston. If Fort Cherry and Carlynton both lose, they will still clinch after splitting their doubleheader Monday.
Both teams are tied for fifth place with Canon-McMillan in Section 1-3A with 2-4 section records.
All three teams have two section matches remaining and the top six teams in each section qualify for the WPIAL boys lacrosse playoffs.
As far as the three-way tie goes, the Warriors own a victory over the Big Macs while the Spartans lost their match earlier to Canon-Mac.
Team tennis makeups
Because of the wet forecast for Tuesday, the WPIAL pushed back the start of the 2022 Class 3A playoffs to Wednesday. Eight first-round matches are set as 15 district teams try to unseat Shady Side Academy as defending champion.
The first round matches are:
All the matches begin at 3 p.m.
The Class 2A quarterfinals are set for Thursday.
Tags: Allderdice, Baldwin, Canon-McMillan, Carlynton, Central Catholic, Chartiers Valley, Cornell, Fort Cherry, Fox Chapel, Franklin Regional, Hempfield, Kiski Area, Mars, Moon, Mt. lebanon, North Allegheny, Norwin, Oakland Catholic, Penn Hills, Penn-Trafford, Peters Township, Plum, Quaker Valley, Rochester, Sewickley Academy, Upper St. Clair
More High School Softball• Norwin softball standout Snowberger commits to Holy Cross
• Shaler tops North Allegheny to win slow-pitch softball league title
• Western Pennsylvania Interscholastic Softball League teams ready for playoff tournament
• Slow-pitch softball teams enter final week of WPISL regular season
• Several teams score doubleheader sweeps as slow-pitch softball league pushes toward playoffs