WPIAL Coaching Changes
Thursday, June 27, 2013 | 8:53 PM
Three district coaching vacancies have been filled as a new football coach was hired at a Class A school while boys basketball coaches were appointed at a Class AAAA school and a Class AA powerhouse.
* The change on the coaching staff at Carmichaels was more a switch of titles than anything else. John Menhart ended his second stint as head coach of the Mighty Mikes (1989-2002 and (2009-2012) after last season and will become an assistant coach at Carmichaels. So it only seemed right to take one of his assistants and slide them into the leadership role. Offensive coordinator Ryan Krull has been named new head coach of the Mighty Mikes, keeping it all in the family. Krull is Menhart's son-in-law.
* Mark Marino is moving from the college ranks to scholastic coaching after being named the new boys basketball coach at Hempfield High School. Marino has spent the last five seasons as an assistant coach at Lycoming College. Marino replaces Jim Nesser, who was 58-32 the last four years as the head of the Spartans.
* One of the top basketball programs in the WPIAL has a new basketball coach and its a familiar name to the program. 1979 Aliquippa High School graduate Nick Lackovich has been hired to breath new life back into the Quips after they finished 9-13 overall this past season. Lackovich has been an assistant coach at both Aliquippa and rival Beaver Falls.
More Basketball• Emily Daugherty hired as Ligonier Valley girls basketball coach in unanimous vote
• Leechburg girls coach shares special bond with team as they build for future
• Run-and-gun Leechburg boys looking to keep pedal to the floor
• Monessen girls basketball looks to maintain momentum after playoff season
• Monessen boys basketball sets sights on 40th straight playoff berth