WPIAL revises baseball, softball championship schedule for Thursday
Wednesday, May 29, 2019 | 4:27 PM
Mother Nature wreaked havoc on the WPIAL softball and baseball championships Wednesday afternoon.
Thunderstorms and heavy rain drenched the fields at Peterswood Park, forcing WPIAL officials to postpone two softball title games until Thursday. Weather delays nearby at Wild Things Park also led officials to move the third game of a tripleheader to Thursday.
Below is a revised schedule for Thursday’s softball finals. All five games will be played on two fields at Peterswood Park.
• Class 3A final: Avonworth vs. Keystone Oaks, 10:30 a.m.
• Class 2A final: Frazier vs. Laurel, noon
• Class 5A final: Connellsville vs. West Allegheny, noon
• Class 4A final: Mt. Pleasant vs. Elizabeth Forward, 2:15 p.m.
• Class 6A final: North Allegheny vs. Hempfield, 2:15 p.m.
All five games will be broadcast on the TribLive High School Sports Network.
The Class 6A baseball final between Penn-Trafford and Pine-Richland will be played at 5 p.m. Thursday at Wild Things Park in Washington.
In the lone softball championship played Wednesday, West Greene defeated Union, 11-0, in Class A.
Avonworth leads Keystone Oaks, 8-0, in the fifth inning in the Class 3A title game.
— Bill Hartlep
Bill Hartlep is the sports editor of the Tribune-Review. You can contact Bill at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @TribHSInsider.
More High School Softball• Smerick, River Hawks topple North Hills, advance to PIAA championship game
• High school roundup for June 14, 2021: West Greene rolls past DuBois C.C. in PIAA semifinals
• Ligonier Valley’s historic run continues after beating Union City in PIAA Class 2A semifinal
• List dominates as Beaver bests Highlands in PIAA Class 4A semifinal
• Mt. Pleasant softball blanks Punxsutawney, advances to PIAA Class 3A title game